Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
installed the viggen IC yesterday along with heater hoses and an upper coolant hose..big thanks to ERP for the great DIY instructions!...the install went smooth, the most painful job of the day was installing the heater hoses...they were stuck on, and i had to cut 3 of the 4 ends to remove..!.ugh..admittedly, i am not the most skilled DIY mech...so i was a little intimidated, especially after i had the front of the car off..:)...but everything went ok...the modified outlet/driver-side hose (using the unused aluminum cross section for an extension)..worked like a champ..i did cut about 1/4-1/2" off of the passenger side hose the relieve a little tension on the ac lines (it was a tight fit!)...

spoolup is greatly improved...definitely a worthwhile mod..you can really feel this one..

i also had a chance to further work on my new speedparts ecu and try to complete some good WOT adaptation runs...i managed to hti 16psi, according to my autometer boost gauge..so i hope that it will continue to 'adapt', since i was hoping for 18-19psi peak...but i guess time will tell...the car is running great now though, and i am thoroughly satisfied (until the next mod anyway!!)....

maybe someone has a thought on this...i cannot seem to get my stock boost gauge into the red?..even showing 16psi on the autometer, the stock gauge just sits at the end of the yellow...? i know it might be silly, but its just one of those things that i would like to see!...any thoughts on what might be the problem?..i know that the stock gauge isn't precise, but what gives? why can't i get into the red!

cheers/eric

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
forgot..any recommendations on what to shoot for next?...i am going to shoot for some poly bushings and the KIC steering brace next, and abbot is selling some low mileage sachs/boge....the suspension is ridiculous these days, especially after the power mods...i was thinking about abbott springs along with some low mileage sachs, but am worried about clearance.....so whats the consensus on the next performance mod for a NG900?..any thoughts on clearance issues with springs?......maybe downpipe or water injection?

thanks!!

eric
96 900SET

speedparts stg2
saab 9-3 SS sport exhaust
turboXS type-H BOV
viggen IC
SAS rear sway
TBTC porting
airbox 'funnel intake' modification

·
Registered
613 Posts
Hmm, well my Speedparts Stg 2 hits 19psi fairly easily in 3rd-5th, and dips 1/3 - 1/2 way into the red on the stock gauge.....not sure what to tell you. Then again, I saw 16psi w/my MBC before the ECU was in there, and it never went into the red then.... so maybe all's well?

Interesting feedback on the Viggen IC, but curse you for making me change my mind on it again (had just decided to wait off until I had more extra cash around, but have once again flip-flopped upon your account)

As for next -- 3" DP or WI both sound good. I believe WI will be next after the IC for me, as I live in an area with very hot summers.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Congrats on the new intercooler, glad my website could help you out. Next power upgrade needs to be the 3” downpipe, it will make you see red. I also recommend the dual stage boost controller, a MBC will push the gauge into the red. Do you know what the fuel cutoff is for the stage 2 ECU, I’m just curious.

For suspension I suggest B+G or Eibach springs and Bilstein or Koni shocks. I’m actually going to be changing my springs soon. The current B+G springs that I have were incorrectly manufactured. They are too soft and most the rear coils are bottomed out. I’m getting a new pair from B+G in a week or so and I’m going to install Bilstein shocks while I’m at it. Eric, DC is not too far from me here in Allentown. You should get new springs and drive up here. I’ll help you change yours when I do mine. I have a friend up here with access to an air compressor and some heavy-duty impact guns, makes the job a lot easier. This is going to be my third time changing springs, I’m getting pretty good at it.

Eric

·
Registered
563 Posts
It's good to hear you like the new intercooler .

It's not only the faster spoolup you're enjoying, you've probably gained some bhp. Blue99turbo has dyno figures before and after the intercooler mod. IIRC there was a 11bhp/10Nm increase.

I agree with ERP, the next mod has to be the 3" downpipe. Spoolup will be even faster, powerlevels will be higher. I was always a little sceptic about the use of a big downpipe and a free flowing sportexhaust. My latest dyno figures proved me wrong
. After adding a JT 3" turboback (no cat) exhaust, performance was up 19bhp
/23Nm
. Remember the car was already modded with a Hirsch ECU, Viggen intercooler, K&N airfilter, modified airbox, etc. On a stock Saab the big pipe wouldn't have made such a big difference.

The stock boost gauge isn't very accurate, it will be hard to get it into red on your car. If your car had T7, it would have been possible to adjust the gauge and have the needle in the red zone without raising boost .

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Unless the 900 is that much different, the gauge should go into the red at anything above stock boost. My gauge in my 1999 9-3 hits about 1/4 to 1/3 red at its programmed 0.9 bar or about 13 psi. When I had a MBC installed on the stock ECU, the guage went to about 1/3 red as well.

I think you should het the suspension soon. As it seems you have noticed that a stock suspension just can't keep up with all the motor! I have H&R springs and Konis with a SAS rear sway bar and I am pretty happy with it. As for the next power mod, definitely go for the big downpipe.

Have fun!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the input as always folks...so the consensus is the downpipe next..sounds good to me...after i work on the suspension a bit..i am working on the boost issue...what do you think about the bov being the culprit? i have the adjustable variety..that you pack the washers into for more spring tension..i hadn't added any before the ecu/IC upgrades, and never had any with my mbc...i threw two in this morning and it seems to be a good start...i am going to throw another couple in tom and see what happens..maybe my bov was leaking boost past 16psi?

i will definitely take you up on that offer eric!...hopefully you won't hold me to the two week timeframe though...my bank account and i aren't on speaking terms right now... maybe next month or so...i took her in for an alignment recently also, and was told that my tie-rod adjusters are frozen and they needed to be heated to try and release (and if they don't, then they will need to be replaced!)....so, unless i can get ahold of a torch, looks like it might go to the shop for this work...nothing bad necessarily (my toe settings are ok)...but the steering wheel is slightly crooked, and its annoying!!...

if you don't mind, i'd like to hook up in a month or so for the springs?...by then, i want to get my hands on some shocks also...just swap them out at the same time...

btw- are you headed to carlisle next month?

cheers/eric

·
Registered
613 Posts
eric, what's going on in carlisle? Another meet, I hope? I've missed a couple meets up in PA already this semester, and am really going to try for the next meet I hear about within driving distance!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
pyro- check out carsatcarlisle.com...there is an import/kit car meet may 16-18..washington d.c. saab club evidently works closely with central penn saab club and they will be going..i think i am going to check it out.. the wasaab (wash saab club) folks say there was a decent saab turnout last year and it seems like there might be some cool imports to check out also... haven't thoroughly checked out the details.. hopefully there is some autocross or drag to watch.. check out the wash d.c. saab club page at saabnet.com (when you click on bulletin board, scroll to the bottom) and the carlisle website..

not sure exactly where carlisle is, but if the only route is to head up 95 for you, maybe we could meet along the way

cheers

·
Registered
613 Posts
eric, yeah, sounds cool!

I should be free those days, and DC isn't really all that far for me. I'd take 85 to 95 all the way on up, so yeah, if you wanted to meet up somewhere that'd be cool. Feel free to PM me closer to the dates to set something up.

- Nick

·
Registered
136 Posts
Eric, I’ll be in the area until the end of the summer, so any time before then. I’m going to try and make at least one day of Carlisle but I am play a gig each of those nights. I should be there.
-=ERP=-

·
Registered
1 Posts
Originally posted by ericl:
[qb]forgot..any recommendations on what to shoot for next?...any thoughts on clearance issues with springs?......maybe downpipe or water injection?  [/qb][/b]
You'll have a lot more use for 3" Downpipe then Waterinjection...

About the clearance on the 900: I've had mine modified to fit 17" rims without hitting the wheel housing, standard Saab modification.

I'm bosting 1,3bar as maximum right now(3000rpm) and 1,1bar at 5500rpm, dynoed 280Hp
Most of the parts come from 9-3 Aero/Viggen except for the 3" JT downpipe...

You can see my spec here:

Viggen/Aero IC+Turbo
Custom Air intake
3" Downpipe
Maptun Custom Software installed
280Hp

1 - 17 of 17 Posts