Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is time for me to get a round of rotors and pads for my viggen, since the current ones are completely worn down. Does anybody know what other optios do I have besides saab std rotors.

I can get a complete set of viggen rotors + pads for 550E or so. Rear should be good with std rotors + better pads, right?

And for the front, what should I place there?
Viggen std rotors are 308mm and almost all "upgrade" kits at saab tuners are for the regular 288mm rotor. So that rules out EBC and Tar-OX kits sold by many tuners.

So the question is has anybody else have tried a different rotor in the front, if so what where the benefits, costs, modicifation needs?

Or is the best solution std rotors + better pads?

And plese do not recommend 345mm rotor kits because they need 18" rims to fit, which I do not have for summer nor winter. That road is too expencive for me at the moment

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Originally posted by Vigge:
[qb]And plese do not recommend 345mm rotor kits because they need 18" rims to fit, which I do not have for summer nor winter.     That road is too expencive for me at the moment [/qb][/b]
Granted, but what about the Brembo 4-piston kit..??
Uses 320mm discs to fit 17" wheels, as kit is for 9-5 but Viggen uses 9-5 Aero brake setup, might work..........???
Still not cheap though

Brembo kit

·
Registered
563 Posts
I've been looking for aftermarket 308mmm brakediscs as well.

There's not a lot available though .

Courtenay Sport (Opel/Vauxhall tuner) have these 308mm discs.

On the German Sandtler website i found the following discs for Viggen applications.

Plain discs.

Slotted and crossdrilled.

Slotted discs.

And last but not least the Abbott discs.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by aeropilot:
Granted, but what about the Brembo 4-piston kit..??
Uses 320mm discs to fit 17" wheels, as kit is for 9-5 but Viggen uses 9-5 Aero brake setup, might work..........???
Still not cheap though    

Brembo kit [/QB][/b]
The same kit is also listed under 9-3 without the remark "not viggen", so it should fit.
Prize is an another issue, darn that is expensive

I guess I want to stick with the std calibers and std sized rotors.

But thanks for the info, I had missed that kit previously.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hi,

I have fitted - in fact Eric B has fitted them for me - Ferrodo DS2500 Pads on stock rotors on my Viggen. Breaking is exceptionally good, as some Co-Pilots on the Norschleife can confirm.

On the rear I use cheap OEM pads ("Icer"), which do the job. Rear is not really that important.

Yours,

Philip

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I tried some SP Graphite Metallic pads with stock rotors that were cross drilled and found the stopping improved quite a bit.

I'm not completely satisfied however, as with enough
I can make the performance brakes fade as easily as the stock ones. They would not be suitable for trackdays.

But short distance stopping is noticably improved. As my friend Nick put it, "If I'm not careful my eyeballs will end up on your dashboard."

Typically though, brakes are upgraded such that they can deal with more heat. Go look around some of the StopTech articles on upgraded brakes. Most of the time, your stock system will stop you just as fast as any upgraded system, but just can't handle long perdiods of braking. Typically anyway ...

Either way, these Carbon Metallic pads are lasting longer than the stock ones, and do stop a bit faster (though not a huge amount), so I'd buy them agian over stock pads. If for no other reason than they seem to be cheaper, and they haven't chewed up the rotors like the stock ones did ... yet anyway.

Dubbya~

·
Registered
477 Posts
I fitted 'Black Diamond' grooved discs and 'Predator' Fast Road padd to my 9-3 Aero a month ago. The difference was amazing, feels like I've got at least 50 % more stopping power. The price is pretty amazing as well, £300 for all 4 corners . They list a set specifically for 9-3 2.3 Turbo, so that has to be the Viggen. Black Diamond have a website which is worth a look - can't remember the web address off hand, but just search on 'Black Diamond', and you should find it.
While I'm on the subject, I bought the Abbott grooved discs for my last car (900 turbo), and they appear to be original Saab discs, which they just mill the grooves into. They even came in the original Saab box - definately not worth the money they're asking.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts