Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a company promotional vehicle we are looking at doing something different i.e not jap supras, civic, 200sx etc etc, so I have been thinking about a 9-3 Viggen. It is something different, and with all the modifications I think can cause a stir and the big WOW factor I need.

What I need to know, does anyone one run anything like this with a minimum of 350 bhp, It will need to be reliable as it will do approx 20000 miles a year going up and down the country to shows.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So if 350 BHP is reliable what is the limits, I dont want it to be silly as it will driven every weekend, and also NOS is a must at the moment, so has anyone NOS'd any saabs ?

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Originally posted by turkish:
[qb]So if 350 BHP is reliable what is the limits, I dont want it to be silly as it will driven every weekend, and also NOS is a must at the moment, so has anyone NOS'd any saabs ? [/qb][/b]
None of the SSc regulars have ever admitted to running NOS AFAIK. I think Saab drivers are too sensible to take such risks with their cars, as with nitrous, push it too far and you'll be needing an engine rebuild as a minimum. With conservative NOS use you can get a 10% improvement over normal performance. So a Maptun Stage 5 Viggen could run 350bhp most of the time and 385bhp when the NOS is injected.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Originally posted by Søren Hviid:
[qb]What about a 95 AERO? [/qb][/b]
Aero basically has the sama engine as a Viggen.
In the end it is all up to money how much you want to spend on tuning the engine.
For reference here is something to aim at
9-5 lightning

·
Registered
753 Posts
Surely for big bhp Per Eklunds Saab must be mentioned?

It is fairly modified from standard...

Not sure about 20'000 miles/year though.

Does show how much power the engine is capable of making with enough tuning.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
IIRC it was either Maptun or SQR that used to run a 450 hp Viggen demonstrator. I do remember also that they had to do quite regular transmission rebuilds.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
NOS is just the big must have in Car tuning, and for it to be a cover car, we must have it. I am only talking a 50 bhp shot, I dont want the silly 200 bhp injectors.

If the car has 350 BHP, it would hardly be used anyway

Looking on Maptuns website, I think to keep costs down we may get an early 9-3 185 bhp 2.0 turbo and use that,ok less torque, but as long as it has over 300bhp it will be fine. The body will be all changed as will the interior so no need for a viggen really.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It is a must have, as for to make this car work for us, we need to have it as a "max power, redline, fast car" front cover feature car. Therefore we need to build it with all the latest in tuning, styling and ICE.

Sorry a 9-5 is out, it is more about the styling then the engine, and although if we decide to go ahead, there will be alot of custom body work but there is already a fantastic looking bodykit for the 9-3 out there.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
[qb]It is a must have, as for to make this car work for us, we need to have it as a "max power, redline, fast car" front cover feature car. Therefore we need to build it with all the latest in tuning, styling and ICE.
[/qb][/b]
Oh dear....

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you decide to go with an early 9-3 185 HP to keep costs down why not just use a 94-98 NG900. Basically the same car & engine at 1/2 the cost? Worth a look if it's going to be gutted anyway.

For reference checkout my site, I've got a 2.0L 1999 9-3 pushing ~330HP

·
Registered
141 Posts
[qb]It is a must have, as for to make this car work for us, we need to have it as a "max power, redline, fast car" front cover feature car. Therefore we need to build it with all the latest in tuning, styling and ICE. [/qb][/b]
This is what confuses me about the 'cruise' scene (I've deliberately avoided the term 'modified') everyone into it claims they are after individuality and to be different from the mainstream, but then they all have the same sort of car with the same mods, for example you say that NO2 has to be included for the car to be taken seriously (and I can believe that), there should be more to modifying a car than just ticking the boxes or numbers on a Top Trumps Card.

Full marks for modifying a Saab, it's different to the usual Nova/Corsa/Saxo tat that normally goes under the knife. Why not go the whole hog and build a 400bhp Saab and use the tagline 'with 400lb/ft and no need for NOS'.

Yours, as ineloquent as ever, the driver of a saab with large wheels and a loud exhaust.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It does not mean I have to use NOS to be taken seriously it is just an addition, that can add the extra exclusivity.

Anyway I am still finalising the details of the whole project.

I wanted to use the saab as it is different and since owning 3 I am hooked, and I know I would enjoy driving it to all the shows. There are to many Nova's / Corsa's / saxo's / Supra's / civic's. The saab is different, and one in mad paint, with big wheels, the latest multimedia will no doubt turn heads.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
There are many crazy things you can do to get a "killer" of a car. Look at for instance this rather interesting video clip at http://ftp.nordictuning.com/src/movies/rob-the-movie.wmv with what I consider to be the most powerfull 9-3 after that of PE.

You can of course also ask Two Stroke to build the car for you from scratch including the gearbox, which is what I more or less did. But I don't know how 350BHP would handle in the 9-3 shell. I estimate my own BHP figures at close to 280BHP, and at that sort of power level I need to use all my senses to stay in control AND keep my speeds legal.
Maarten and Eric once mentioned a 390BHP monster that was difficult to drive. I can take their word for it without question.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I'd say the 3-door 9-3/NG900 shape lends itself well to what you want to achieve. I'd refrain from any kind of fussy detailing at the sides (skirts et al) - big fat front and rear bumpers/valances with a big fat intercooling lurking behind a big fat hole in the front bumper, bright orange paintwork with a matching orange/black interior and big fat anthracite wheels would do the job just nicely .

Sounds like real fun drawing up a project like this - better still if it's company money (tax deductable blah blah blah), not your private cash to work with...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts