Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
i have a 1994 9000 CDE lpt Auto. When driving at speeds of 70+ miles per hour, there is a slight vibration comming through the steering wheel. The front wheels have recently been balanced. Any ideas as to what this could be.
Cheers for that.
Jeremy

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Hi,
how bad is the vibration? Often when a wheel is balanced it will be "acceptable" to still be 5g out of balance. This practice is ok for the rear wheels but you may still feel it over 70 on the front. It may be worth getting the balance checked again, to make sure it is "0".

Neil

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Ahh, maybe my car needs the front bushes changing as I also get 70mph plus vibration. It's only slight but anoying enough, and definately not the front tyres.

Bye the way, just because a wheel is balanced to '0-0' on a machine doesn't mean it is perfectly balanced. As it depends on the calibration of the machine.

If in doubt, get the technician to re-balance the wheel, then rotate the wheel through 90 degrees on the machine and re-check the setting. If it shows anything different from '0-0' after the 90 degree rotation of the wheel/tyre the machine is out of balance.

I have found this to be the case with two seperate tyre fitting companies over the years!

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Check that there are no bumps or bulges in the tread area. This will cause vibrations despite the wheels being balanced. I recently had this problem and a local tyre fitter missed it when balancing the wheels. I subsequently spotted the bulge and replaced tyre. I have also known some tyres, notably Pirelli to go out of round as they wear down but this tends to manifest it self as a wobble at low speeds.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
So Abbott's winning the production car championship on numerous occasions with both the original 9000 and the 9000CS doesn't count for anything then!
You don't have to own a "so called sports car" to enjoy a bit of track day action. In fact a 9000 is a quite a hoot to peddle around a track, compared to some of the 'sports' machines I've had the misfortune to have a go in!!

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Never exceed 70mph!? Which means we are either a bunch of angels or old folk... who only buy 9000's cos they are traditionally 'older' folks cars... and we plod along at less than 3K rpm... hense the reason that Saabs last so long!

And the reason that our cars can do 130mph+.. eh??

Then again, maybe it's just that some of us recognise, along with the Police, that Motorway limits were set in the days of Ford Anglias, and should be raised to 85mph and closely enforced. (Instead of this revenue earning stunt that the police are currently pulling)

And of course Saab 9000's were 30% safer than their nearest rivals (V*l**!) according to Swedens largets insurance comany (Folksam), so why shouldn't we safely drive them - where circumstances permit - in excess of 70 mph?

Try comming out of London on the M4 in the rush hour. The third lane is doing 80mph+ virtually bumper to bumper! Which is crazy of course!

Ok, back to the real world

·
Registered
63 Posts
No disrespect Lybed but had to add a further comment to this thread as I can see that a few people here are having a laugh AT ME at the expense of you getting a semi-decent answer.

I thought the reason for having a site like this is for individuals to air their own thoughts & offer help where needed. Clearly some of you who have recently added replies to this thread think otherwise.

I still do not see the 9000 as a track car. Yes you can take it out on a track & treat it harder than you would on the road. Fine. It's still not going to be as much fun as a proper sports car but you will have limited fun granted. I have never said that you cannot take the car out on a track day.

Who said you don't have to own a "so called sports car" to enjoy a bit of track day action then Aeropilot? I didn't! Did I? Also if you're going to quote me like you have I gave you the dictionary meaning of a "Sports Car" not a "So called sports car". If you're going to quote me then quote me correctly!! Either way I do not find your comment the least bit funny.

PaulD. What's the point of raising the speed limit on English motorways? There is absolutely no reason what-so-ever. Everybody knows the average speed on a motorway is well under 70mph so how on earth is raising the speed limit going to make ANY difference?

I see John that you also seem to find my previous input funny? Well why's that then?

I didn't realise that anything I added here had to conform to anybody elses thoughts & ideals. Well they don't & I'm glad they don't. Frankly I find a few peoples ideas very strange on here but what the hec! They have as much right to their own thoughts as I do. At least my comments aren't added as if I'm laughing behind other peoples backs.

I suggest that this thread be left for genuine responses to lybeds question. I'm sure he'd appreciate responses relevant to his dilemma & not piss taking which is what has been added here of late. Grow up!! For those of you that can't, I have taken the liberty of creating a new thread for people to add any comments & possibly why they feel that anything I have said is funny or rubbish. Come on. If you've got something to say then say it!!! Add a reply to the thread entitled "Mal Talks Rubbish" where you will have my undivided attention. I look forward to hearing your ramblings & feeble excuses!!

(Sorry lybed).
Mal.

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
My comment was tongue in cheek. Some people take things way to seriously.

This thread stops here and everyone around here, me included, is going to do some growing up.

Then we'll come back and talk Saab stuff.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I've got 3 9000's and none of them vibrate or shudder at speed. 1 of them with steel wheels even has a noticeably 'damaged' rim surrounded by balance weights.
My thoughts are
1.Try getting your front wheels balanced at a different tyre place, the machine need calibrating every so often and I bet this gets forgotten.
2.I once had a problem with alloy wheels being 'egg' shaped, when you get your wheels galanced have a look at how the radius varies as the wheel rotates, you could have a flat spot.
3. Try swopping the front wheels onto the back, wobbly rear wheels don't seem to matter as much.
4. I don't think wheel alignment would matter. This would cause the tyres to wear rather than have noticeable vibration.
Hope this helps

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Also, has the car been sitting for any great length of time as this car put the tyres out of shape and this will give the same feeling as if the wheels need balancing. I had this happen on my Sunbeam-Lotus and I had to put the out of shape 'fronts' on the back until I put enough miles in for the tyres to return to shape.
Worth swopping the fronts to back etc and see if the vibration still occurs, might narrow cause down to wheels or tyres or mechanical.....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts