Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 1996 9000 CSE 2.3Turbo Auto. It has done 105K miles. 6 months ago it developed a strange vibration that was a cross between a physical vibration through
the car and a throb in the air within the cabin. Some have described it as a helicopter sound. It seems to appear on older surfaced roads and almost be in time with the
uneveness of the road. It happens at a range of speeds but mostly at the 70 - 90mph speed. It happens when in gear and out of gear. It seems to gets worse as the fuel
tank is empty. I have had the tail gate adjusted down so that it is amost difficult to shut. Sometimes it is there other times it is not. It is probably the result of a vibration
that is amplified inside the vehicle by the tailgate. All wheels are balanced and tracking checked. There is no vibration through the steering wheel. I am sue it is from the
back.

I have just had all 4 dunlop tyres checked and two were miss shapes ( on teh back axle ) so all have been changed to michelins. It has made a big difference but the
vibration is still there and under the same circumstances as before all be it alot less.

Could 10k miles of miss shapen tyres on the rear have damaged something, a bush, suspension or shock absorber. Has any body got any ideas.

Cheers. I am going to have to give the car up if I cant get rid of the noise and I really dont want that to happen as it really is a splendid car.

Thanks in advance

Andy.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I think you were right to start with the tyres. If you have no vibration through the steering wheel, then I think it is unlikely to be a problem at the front. if you have vibration through the seat, it is generally an indication of something at the back. The distance travelled on worn tyres and your description of when the event occurs suggests to me that it may be a shock absorber on the way out.

Don't know how long they normally last but excessively unbalanced tyres can over a period shorten this lifespan.

If not a shocker, then perhaps a bushing at the rear but somebody else will no doubt be of assistance on that one. Why not double check the balance elsewhere and at the same time check for ann off-round rim, which may have been the initial cause of the knackered tyres.

As for
It seems to gets worse as the fuel
tank is empty. I have had the tail gate adjusted down so that it is amost difficult to shut. Sometimes it is there other times it is not.[/b]
, I don't know what the problem is there :))

Joking aside, A problem is bigger when you can't work out what it is. When you know the answer, you'll be a lot happier if you have kept the car.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.