Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks
i replaced my standard air filter on my anniv 2.3lpt with the jr performance filter with excellent results fuel consumtion was decreased and had an extra 75 miles on a tank of unleaded and performance showed a very slight increase, so i was chuffed. I
also replaced the rear anti roll bar bushes with supa plex 18 mm and handling was noticably better on the corners and crisper allround, so any one thinking of changing to the jr range is a good idea.
kimosaabi

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
while you are at it kimosaab - have you checked whether you have a heatplate on the inlet manifold? If you are 1996 or later then you might have one and removal is good... effect of the JR x 10.
Apologies if you've covered this already.

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Originally posted by David Taylor:
[qb]What was the state of the old air filter? [/qb][/b]
I had the paper element on my Saab 9-3 replaced during routine service. A couple of weeks later I replaced it with a JR filter element and noted similar improvements in economy to Kimosaabi.

So even with a clean paper filter, there is an improvement to be had - in my experience.

[edit] here? it is.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
I would have thought that in general any free flowing air filter stands a good chance of improving economy due to a reduction in engine effort needed to overcome resistance to drawing air in.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Originally posted by Mark E:
[qb]I would have thought that in general any free flowing air filter stands a good chance of improving economy due to a reduction in engine effort needed to overcome resistance to drawing air in. [/qb][/b]
So would the same gains be found by removing the snorkel from the airbox? I have been thinking of removing the snorkel and drilling holes in the box. I really need better MPG as I have just moved further away from work and now REALLY can't afford fuel

Has anyone found that this makes the air intake more noisy? After hearing a friends Anniversary is sounds sweet compared to my '94 Aero (but this might be due to a leak between the turbo and the downpipe)

Advice would be greatly apprciated

Mark

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
I think the consensus is ....
taking the snorkel off helps
drilling holes in the airbox might
yes it make it noisier

(and it costs nothing to do ....
)

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
still looking for that perfect flared funnel to replace the snorkel... B&Q has failed me! and I want something more flared than a speaker port. Will report back when I find one that doesn't increase the noise too much.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Originally posted by faero:
[qb]and I want something more flared than a speaker port.  [/qb][/b]
You shouldn't need one any more flared than a properly designed speaker port- there is an optimum radius for the flaring, which the port should have- there was a post on it recently but I can't find it at the mo

I did mine like this, and used a port from Maplin. I didn't notice any noise problems.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
MarkE, I accept the notion of a free'r breathing engine giving improvements in economy but a 75 mile extra range is huge, that's around a couple of gallons less over 400 or so miles.

I just wouldn't expect that sort of change. Maybe I should fit the JR filter that's in the boot of my 2.0t awaiting fitting to the Aero? I won't be using the Aero for a few months yeat so perhaps I should road test it first for comparative results?

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
David,

I would expect the air filter to make no more than a few percent difference- not the 15-20% being suggested here, I think there must be some other factors coming in to play like driving conditions

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi again folks
i realise that a 75 mile increase on a tank of fuel is quite allot but seeing is truly believing. After a normal tank of fuel i read around 326 -330 miles for my tank, after replacing the filter i also put new poly bushed on the rear a.r.b.at the same stage I had done 403 miles On my next tank. i did run it for a while on the fuel warning light but i allways do this, but you have to bare in mind that there is a nominal amount of fuel left in the tank but i did fill the tanks up at the same stages and there was a very definate increase by atleast 60 miles this i am certain of. I also have standard 15 inch wheels with continental ecos sports and rolling resistance is minimal so im sure that would make a difference as well, and as some of you lads probably have wider tyres etc which make for more rolling resistance would probably not show such a large gain in fuel econemy I therfore truly believe that the jr has made a significant difference for me and i would reccomend it to any one and i am delighted with the economy and to top it all off the filter is totally renewable so no more paper filters for me.
ps hope this convinces you all

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Forgive my scepticism but are you going on the computer readout or tank full-empty-full/miles, in other words a known calculation.

I have spent the past few months driving like an 80 year old blue rinse Metro driver to see what I can get out of my 2.0 lpt. On the computer, over the average of probably the last 2000 miles, i'm at 31.1 mixed. If I fill up, the range display on the computer will happily tell me that it predicts > 500 miles but that soon comes back to planet earth around the 400 miles mark hence that's why I'm wondering if a filter change is really delivering between 15 to 20% change, that's pretty huge for a filter change alone unless there was something else wrong with the car set up (or your driving! ) before.

I'm pleased for you, like I said, maybe I'll try this JR one that's presently in the boot but destined for my Aero, on my lpt for a while.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi dave
i cant be totally accurate but you know what its like with these saabs you allways want to get the best from them i also have a convertable 900 1996 2.3se i decided to put a jr filter in it also but it didnt make any real difference but im absoloutly positive that i have had a very good increase on fuel economy,with the 9000 and i have never seen the magic 400 come up on the guage since i bought the car and i dont drive the car like a mad man, i also use mobil one fully synth oil and look after my car very well indeed and i just wander if mayby by luck im doing all the right things to the car, and it seems by the fuel figures i am. as we all know that if some small items are not right with the car this can make a big difference to fuel econamy and handling. As i said before dave i changed out the a.r.b bushes from standard rubber to poly and one of the old bushes was worne. im not sure and dont know if this could have been a reason for the poorer fuel econemy before the bush change out and or the filter, but it seems that both the filter change out and or the bushes change out have made the difference and i am delighted.
thanks very much for the feed back dave,
kimoaabi

·
Registered
706 Posts
Has anyone tried resetting the trip in the middle of the speedo, and comparing how many miles you cover with how many miles the computer says wou will get when you first fill up.

have you checked whether you have a heatplate on the inlet manifold  [/b]
Where is this part and what does it do?

Also, how much does a JR , or any sports filter cost?

Thanks
Skiddins

·
Registered
152 Posts
Just fitted my new JR air filter and filled up the tank. i'll let everyone know how many miles it does through normal driving. the part cost about £34 inc vat and delivery. all well known stockist have them, so shop around

·
Registered
234 Posts
Originally posted by Skiddins:
[qb]Has anyone tried resetting the trip in the middle of the speedo, and comparing how many miles you cover with how many miles the computer says wou will get when you first fill up.
[/qb][/b]
The handbook for my 88 9000 recommends calibrating the 'computer' mileage against the speedo, so they must expect it to be out. It tells you how to calibrate it in the handbook.

Regarding free-flow air filters and fuel consumption, would this still hold true for a turbo? After all, the turbo is forcing the air in, and therefore doing any extra 'sucking' required through the filter. In off-boost conditions, (steady cruising, overrun) the engine won't be trying to suck too hard anyway. Just a thought.

Regards,
Alan

1 - 20 of 27 Posts