Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon,

The ride seems to be very hard on my 9-3. I live in a fairly rural area (so perhaps a car with Sports Suspension wasn't the best idea) so the roads aren't always fantastic.

Other half (normally a better judge of these things) is convinced it is getting worse - are there any particular issues I could get the dealer to look at?

Also found that the car sits very low at the back and much higher at the front. Previous user had a caravan so wondering if the springs could be damaged?

Cheers,

Richard.

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
Welcome! :)

What year is your car? What mileage?

The earlier cars have succumbed to broken front springs!! Worth a check.

We have a Vector 1.8t with sport suspension. My wife is the main driver and was happy with the suspension, but I wasn't. After a couple of recommendations we fitted the Hirsch springs. These have transformed the ride and the handling is at least as good. I'm quite happy to drive the car for extended periods now. Hirsch prices are not fixed and you should be able to negotiate a discount if you ring around the dealers. Fitting Hirsch, the "official" tuning partner for Saab, will not affect your warranty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

It's a 54-plate Nov 2004 car, with just under 70k miles on it.

Is there a check for broken front springs, or is it a case of 'ask the dealer'?

Unfortunately a company car, so can't go fitting after-market stuff!

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
The broken front springs I've seen pictures of have all broken on the bottom coil. But if yours is low at the back It seems unlikely that the front springs are gone. But if they are from the same stock, the caravan loading might have done for the rears.

Or did the previous owner add spring assisters, or change things?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The broken front springs I've seen pictures of have all broken on the bottom coil. But if yours is low at the back It seems unlikely that the front springs are gone. But if they are from the same stock, the caravan loading might have done for the rears.

Or did the previous owner add spring assisters, or change things?[/b]
I doubt it - it's a company car so no modifications allowed...

Will get the dealer to investigate.

Thanks for the replies.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts