Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Yesterday the ventilation fan on my '89 2.0 16v turbo (CD body)just stopped working, I've checked the fuse and it's not blown. I suspect the heating element has stopped functioning as well. What's my next step?
Any help appreciated, it's pouring with rain and the car mists up in about 5 mins just now.

Thanks
John

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Usually the thermal fuse in the resistor pack blows but that still allows fast blow. If there is no blower at all then either the fuse has blown , which it hasn't, the motor is burnt out, the switch is broken or there is no supply. I would check the connectors at the blower motor for power and a secure connection. If there is no power there, pull out the switch and do the same. If still nothing then you'll need to look at the connection at the fusebox. A 12V bulb with long wires attached is good for testing that the power is getting where it should.

·
Registered
155 Posts
There's lots of info on how to replace the heater blower and heater element (they call it the heater matrix) on the quasimotors site.
http:/quasimotors.gar.net/core.htm
Seems to me very wise to replace both at once and the guidance is excellent. There's heaps of info on this site on maintenance matters. Good luck

·
Registered
226 Posts
Heater matrix can leak but it won't just stop working, its probably because the fan isn't pushing a draught through.
Does car have aircon and if so manual or auto climate?
If manual air con there is a big dropper resistor that can go open circuit, but I think fan will still work on full speed.
If climate control, there is an electronic module that varies fan speed and this can pack up.
Check these if applicable before delving in to fan motor. If it is motor however get matrix replaced at the same time because if its not leaking already, it will!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help folks, it looks like a weekend spent delving for me. The car doesn't have aircon and I've established that the heater matrix is working, it's just not getting any air through it. I suspect that after 150,000 I'm going to be better off replacing the blower and the matrix as a preventative measure if I'm in there anyway!
Ah well.....thanks again

John

1 - 5 of 5 Posts