Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All, First time...
Problem with my 2.0 cse eco (94) to small oil leaks from front of engine at both corners between block & head, leak at nearside getting worse. Leaving big stain on monoblock, missus not happy.
2nd major leak is coming down linkage from gearbox, saab repaired for £30 but leak has appeared just as warranty ran out, been told only saab can replace seal (special tool required) ?
Noise(hard to describe) somewhere from gearbox to wheel (nearside) when car is pulling from low revs. i.e. labouring.

Hope you can help ?

Had car for 4 years now and still love it. 77k on clock.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Can anyone help HAGGAG01 ??
 [/b]
I can welcome him to Saabscene
I presume the leak from the head area is the headgasket probably due to an oilway between the block and head forcing a small amount past the gasket.
Most linkage seals can be pressed in by any well equiped garage/mechanic but I'm not sure about the 9000? but the special tool will more than likely be cylindrical object used to press the bush in.
As for the noise from the driveshaft area,Sorry can't think of much apart from maybe CV joint/wheel bearing

Edit: sorry forgot to add there are a lot of 9000 experts around here who will be able to give you more of an idea,If ever they log on

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
what is the noise like? My 2.0eco makes an odd noise on acceleration at low revs which I think is a leak somewhere in the turbo piping.

Does the noise increase in pitch as you speed up? If so it could be bearing related.

Steve (who has only been home from work for 40 minutes)

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Welcome to Saabscene, HAGGAG01.

Originally posted by Julian:
[qb]Too busy out mending their cars       [/qb][/b]
Are you psychic, Julian?

Not a 9000 expert, exactly, but I've done a few jobs on them...
Can't add much about the leaks. However we need a little more information on the noise. Does it increase/decrease along with road speed? Get worse or better depending on whether you're turning right or left? Is it a sound like something rubbing ("rub-rub-rub" in time with the wheels turning) or a constant noise?

Coincidentally, perhaps, I currently have a split outer CV joint boot on the left-hand side on my Aero. I discovered it just after my last track day at Goodwood, but I'm starting to think it might have failed just before that day and consequently the joint has suffered with high-speed cornering under power and 120+ mph runs down the straight, all with no lubrication (the suspension is now liberally coated with grease).

Having refrained from driving it since then, I gave it a test-drive today after doing some other work (can't do the boot yet as it hasn't arrived, Julian ) and got a loud rubbing noise on right-hand turns. I hope the joint isn't knackered. Just something to look for.

Also, front wheel bearing noise is often due to excessive play caused by a loose driveshaft nut. This should be torqued to 215lbft (290Nm). The front left one on my Aero often needs tightening, despite fitting a new nut in an attempt to cure the problem.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Noise sounds like a metallic grinding (i.e. two flat plates rubbing together, loud noise disappears above 2000rpm, but their is a low but constant high pitch sound above 2000rpm, been their since I bought car.

Main prob is engine leaks, any help taken.

·
Super Moderator
2,709 Posts
HAAGAG02 Asks
2nd major leak is coming down linkage from gearbox, saab repaired for £30 but leak has appeared just as warranty ran out, been told only saab can replace seal (special tool required) ?

Do you mean out of the gear shift rod. If so then it is not too bad to do since the gear lever is connected to the input shaft with a bolt. Access is reasonable if you can get it up on a hoist, and still possible on ramps. I think it is just a lip seal in which case it is fairly easy to repace using a piece of tubing of suitable diameter as a drift.

[email protected]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.