Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's always been a strange car in that sometimes it goes like a Mig on takeoff, and other times it's just fairly quick. There doesn't seem to be a pattern or reason, and it never does the super rapid acceleration when I'm taking people who own jap cars for a drive.

Lately though, the performance has changed to ordinary. Runs smooth as silk, starts well, but the boost meter never gets much above half and it's just not quick.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Hi Kiwi
Boost will vary according to weather(temp humidity etc) and depending of what fuel you put in. Is it a FPT or LPT? ECU will also adapt to driving style so if you doddle about for a period the performance will drop off until you re-adapt it with a good few blasts.
If FPT might be worth checking base boost with a calibrated gauge. Possible problems could be a weak spring on the wastegate and/or if a FPT is the ACU solenoid working - this should however be obvious as you will never run above base boost if it has blown. Could also try some 98 octane in it for a bit as this will help.

Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We're moving into summer here, and the weather is hot and dry (YES!), and the old girl does get driven around town a lot.

And the best gas we can get here is 96.

What always confused me was the utter variability of the performance - it could switch from blistering fast to just very quick in minutes. It was like I had 2 cars.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts