Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all
First message I've posted so hope it works!
Inthe S.O.C. magazine a couple of months ago was an article on how to convert the front wipers to give a variable intermittant delay simply by changing the relay for a VW item. I did this mod and it works fantastically giving a delay between about 6 and 45 seconds. If there is enough interest I'll put the article on here.
I've also modified my car by fitting rear door handles on the front doors, thereby removing external locks ( remote alarm with central locking interface) This makes quite a tasty mod too.

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Ah yes, I think that was Fred Lane that wrote about that?
If there is enough interest I'll put the article on here.

Yes please - I am interested - please feel free to post the info here.

/john

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it was Fred Lane and I hope he doesn't mind me sharing his idea out.
The mod is very simple.
The part required which can be sourced from VW/Audi breakers is the wiper relay listed below.

Make
Beru P.No 0 900 301 082
Kostal P.No 377 955 531
Bosch P.No 0 986 335 058

I sourced a kostal from a VW centre in Basford, Nottingham for £5, the exact address escapes me but it is in the yellow pages and does mail order.

Fitting is a bit of a faff as the glovebox has to be removed to access the main relay board above it, but is not technically difficult. The relays are identified on the legend above. Simply remove the Saab on and plug the new one in it's place.

To set the delay time flick the stalk up to engage intermittant and then straight off again. When the screen needs to be wiped again (1 to 40 seconds later) flick back to intermittant and leave it on. That delay is then set. Turning off the ignition resets it to a default, 6 seconds.
The only downside is that the wipers wipe once when you turn them off and that they give 3 wipes instead of the original 5 when the washers are used.
Otherwise it works great so cheers to Fred for coming up with a great mod.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Thanks for that good tip about the VW variable wiper delay.

"I've also modified my car by fitting rear door handles on the front doors, thereby removing external locks ( remote alarm with central locking interface)"

What do you do if the battery goes flat and locks you out?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.