Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chaps,

I am thinking of flogging my 9000 to buy another 9000
. Just wondered if anyone can give me an idea of value. It is a black 95N manual Aero with the sunroof. I have spent far too much money this year to be changing it, but never mind! Work includes:

Speedparts stage 3 (290 bhp on the RR).
Konis + PI springs + a load of poly bushes and new engine mounts.
New set of Saab disks and pads.
DI cassette.
Superb Denon head unit and 10 cd changer

The interior is very good indeed, but there are some dents on the body panels (thank you, crusties) and the wheels could do with being reconditioned.

Car has done 93k and comes with a mountain of main dealer service history.

I paid £5750 in April 2002 with 83k on the clock.

what do you reckon - £5k or £5.5k sound right? I might sell it to a friend of mine, but want to be fair on the price.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I think that might be a little on the high side. I just paid £6K for a stock 96N Aero with sunroof from a dealer with a 12-month warranty. The car is in mint condition -- perfect paintwork, perfect alloys, new tyres -- with 72K miles and a full main dealer history.

I would have thought that £4750-5000 is about the right number for your car.

G

·
This is what Parker's Guide reckons for your car:

Year / Reg 1996/N
Original Price £30588
A1 £4470
Good £4015
Fair £2405
Trade £2750

I do not know if this is an accurate picture of what is happening out there?

·
Registered
661 Posts
Glasses vehicle prices for your car are:-
1st Coloum Year/Reg Original price
2nd Coloum Price Retail
3rd Coloum trade Price Excellent
4th coloum trade price Average
5th Coloum trade price Below Average
6th Coloum Benchmark Mileage.

1994 L 30995 4380 1720 1435 1170 77000

1994 M 30995 4830 2150 1820 1485 74000

1995 M 31995 5150 2430 2070 1710 71000

1995 N 29995 5655 2910 2490 2070 68000

1996 N 30605 6000 3210 2780 2330 65000

1996 P 30605 6505 3660 3180 2690 62000

1997 P 31405 6880 3990 3490 2980 59000

Obviously these are rough prices so you will have to adjust for mileage differences appprox £100-200 for 10000 miles????

Pete.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pete,

Those prices are not right for an Aero. You could not get a N reg car for 3 grand, unless it had monster mileage on it. I think 5 to a friend who knows what I have done to it is a fair price. Of course, mods don't add that much to the value, but they must add a little bearing in mind how recently they have been done.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
As with everything something is worth only as much as someone is willing to pay.
In this case if the friend values the mods then charge more
if not ...
I would guess that between 3 and 5 k is what it is worth with the upper figure to someone who values the modifications
In a trade in it would be marked down severely

·
Registered
394 Posts
Get panels and wheels sorted or you'll probably struggle to get any kind of reasonable offer.
Used market for anything over 3 or 4 years old is pretty sh1te and Parkers tends to be a bit generous with valuations in my experience.

Good luck - never sell a car to a friend unless it's sold as a jalopy. It'll end in tears

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Luckily, I think that the friend wants it - he expressed an interest before, so fingers crossed. If he doesn't want it, then I might not go for this other Aero.

Oh, it is the one that Abbott was selling, with their whole catalogue of bits fitted. It has done no more than 5,000 miles since that work was undertaken and lots of the bits are still under warranty. The chap got caught doing 140mph on his bike
& has been banned from driving. If I can get 5k for mine, I will have it. If not, the gap in price means that I might as well wait and then do a few bits in a while, such as the LSD/gearbox rebuild and more powerful stoppers. On that subject, has anyone progressed their enquiry with Godspeed?

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Well, you have a grand's worth of bits on it, after fitting, so I'd say it was worth £5K. That's not a bad mileage for a '95 9K.

If your friend agrees that it's worth £5K to him, then you're both happy and you can have your new toy. I'd love a car with decent brakes on it, myself.

[ Edit - Start at £5.5K and then you can do him a favour and take a bit less 'cause he's a mate. ]

·
Registered
706 Posts
I had to pay £5340 to get mine back at auction (it's a long story for those who don't know already!)
It was a '97 Aero with 78k and everything except a sunroof and in very good condition.

Just remembered, after it had it's 78k service and all the locks replaced, two days later i got a letter from the main salesman asking if i wanted to sell as he had customers who were interested in this model!!......trust you lot to try and buy it out from under me!

Good luck - never sell a car to a friend unless it's sold as a jalopy. It'll end in tears  [/b]
I had a friend refuse to sell me his Renault 19 16V (this was about 6 years ago when they were THE car to have) as despite having a full history kept blowing gaskets, pistons etc.

Ironically, they had bought it from a family friend!

Skiddins

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, I still think 5k is fair for mine. I will see him on Thursday, so if he wants it, new 9k, here we come! I know some may think 8 grand (or therabouts)is a lot for an Aero, but if you think of it as getting the car for free due to the almost new Abbott bits, then it is very cheap.

I wouldn't mind better brakes, bigger wheels, lsd and a racing clutch. That'd set me back around £5k with Abbott. And, this car has all that plus gas flowed head, water injection, high flow intercooler & cross strut bracing.

Not quite sure what would happen to my insurance, though.
Also, it suddenly becomes more nickable.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I've been looking for a good '97 Aero for 4 years now, tried a few, but still haven't found the one.

Now with my current challenges, I think I might be sticking with the one I have.

That also needs new brakes.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by JezF:
[qb]Also, it suddenly becomes more nickable. [/qb][/b]
Only due to the appearance of the wheels, I'd say, unless they have done anything cosmetic to it. Assuming Abbott suspension, it won't look obviously lowered unless you park it next to another 9K.

If it has an Abbott exhaust, I hope you like 'em loud, because my loan 9000 from Abbott has one and I had just about had enough of it by the time I'd driven it from there to here. That car is lower-geared than an Aero, though, so tends to cruise in the 2500-3000 rpm band where the exhaust really resonates loudly. For some people, it's just what they want from a sport exhaust system - I know Mark E especially likes his pops and crackles, but it's not everyone's cup of tea. I like my nice, relatively quiet JT system. Even Abbott commented on how quiet it was.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bill,

Yes, it was the 18" Kahn RS-S's that I was referring too. I think that they are around £1000 for a set. Look good, though.

The JT exhaust is great sounding and fairly intrusive. This Abbott car has a cat bypass, so I guess that it will make matters worse.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by JezF:
[qb]The JT exhaust is great sounding and fairly intrusive. This Abbott car has a cat bypass, so I guess that it will make matters worse. [/qb][/b]
Believe me, the Abbott exhaust is really loud in comparison to the JT, which I don't find intrusive at all.
Driving back from Abbott reminded me of driving my mate's MG Metro from Bedford to Manchester, almost driving me crazy, then having to drive back a couple of hours later. The sporty, boomy exhaust that sounded so cool while scooting around the country roads really started to grate, especially as the tailpipe was only a couple of feet behind me on the other side of an uninsulated tailgate. It nearly drove me nuts.

Maybe it did drive me nuts. That would explain a few things ...

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
P.S. the loan car, while only being a 2.0LPT, really feels faster than it is because of the exhaust. It's no faster than my own 2.0LPT, though, as I found to my dismay during a couple of overtaking manoeuvres.

Not trying to put you off what sounds like a really quick car, but if I were you, I'd take it for a test drive to see if you can live with it before selling your own car.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Originally posted by BillJ:
[qb]P.S. the loan car, while only being a 2.0LPT, really feels faster than it is because of the exhaust. It's no faster than my own 2.0LPT, though, as I found to my dismay during a couple of overtaking manoeuvres.      :eek:    [/qb][/b]
Yeah? The Abbotted CS Carly I drove wasn't very raucous, that had a really nice bassy thrum to it. Mind you that also had the Abbott big-exhaust gas flowed head, which may have made some difference, but not that much I'd imagine.

Personally I'll be getting the JT system (eventually) as it's a fraction of the cost of the Abbott system.

Yes, it was the 18" Kahn RS-S's that I was referring too. I think that they are around £1000 for a set. Look good, though.[/b]
Eek, thats gonna be one harsh ride I bet, could also be expensive to maintain if you have lot of pot-holed roads around Brighton.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
For the sake of an even comment on the Abbott system and it's noise levels- Abbott themselves do say that noise from their catless straight thru system can be intrusive on 2.3's, which is why they also sell the silencer option. I'm varying between the two (as I have both) at the moment. It's certainly loud with the straight thru, but that's also because I've got a non stndard turbo with a much bigger exhaust turbo chamber, which won't be attenuating things as much as a standard unit. On balance, if I were mainly motorway driving, I think I'd have to go with the silencer, but for A roads the straight thru is OK. On a conventional 9000 Aero noise won't be as much of an issue.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Thanks, Mark. I was hoping you'd chip in because I know you quite like the Abbott exhaust sound. I still think it would be worth Jez trying it out before he commits himself, as the sound seems to be something you either love or hate. Personally, I couldn't live with it on my main means of transport.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.