Zn 1254
Ba 0

TBN read 4.0
SUS viscosity - 82.2
Flashpoint - 380
Fuel - <0.5
Antifreeze - 0.14
H20 - 0.0

A little background: the engine has 57k miles and runs very high boost pressures -24 psi. With larger injectors, exhaust, and a reprogrammed ECU, I conservatively estimate the horsepower @ 300 hp. I've noticed that the coolant level dropped from the "max" to "min" level over the past 6 months, but wasn't sure it was from a minor leak I had - was psuedo-fixed with a bit of Bars' Leak -from the gasket on the water pump cover. Guess I'll have to pull the camshaft cover off and check the torque on the head bolts - they have been a problem with other late-model 9000's. Hopefully, the gasket is still intact

I also posted this on Bobistheoilguy's site: Bobistheoilguy a good site to find informed discussions to all heat engine and tribology questions.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Robert

I noted that you are running 15W-50 grade oil. Do you run this grade all year round ? If so what sort of temperatures do you get down to in the winter over there in Boston ? I was considering using that grade over here in the UK but thought the 15W may be too thick for cold starts in winter.

Simon

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Simon, sorry for the delayed response - I use the 15w-50 year 'round. However, I never start the vehicle if the temperature drops below 20 ºF ( about -7 Cº). It gets much colder than that, here in the N'east - last winter we saw plenty of days where it never got above -10 Cº at any point during the day. Fortunately, I also have a Chevy truck, which I use whenever the roads are covered with snow, ice, and salt. My 9000 is pretty modified - +300 hp - and the 15W-50 seems to do a great job.

·
Registered
382 Posts
that is very interesting. i am changing my oil straight away. i am currently using saab 0w-30. going to change to 15-50 mobil one. i dont trust companies like ford as far as i can thow them. thanks for the info.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Originally posted by peter messenger:
[qb]that is very interesting. i am changing my oil straight away. i am currently using saab 0w-30. going to change to 15-50 mobil one. i dont trust companies like ford as far as i can thow them. thanks for the info. [/qb][/b]
I have used Mobil one 15/50 in our 99Turbo for the last few yrs.
Over the 20 odd yrs that we have had this car I have tried most of the synthetics on the market, and the engine likes this one the most.
The car get's quite a hard life, track days, towing (heavy stuff), & it never uses any oil. There is allways good pressure at idle, even when (very) hot,& when starting in cold weather (5c) the pressure is there immediately.
Hell, I like this oil so much, Sharon even cooks my chips in it

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think the 15W-50 is great oil. I used to use something called Royal Purple. I doubt it is available on the other side of the pond, but here in the 'States, it's considered pretty decent synthetic. I was using 5W-30, but I'd go through a quart every 3k miles. With the 15W-50 M1, I extended my drain interval to 6k miles and I don't think it dropped more than a quarter of a quart. However, it was the oil analysis that confirmed my convictions on it being a great oil - I still prefer my chips done in vegetable oil, though

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Peter Messenger - I've read that piece from the saab service guy in Washington in an issue of Nines. However, from what I've read at Bobistheoilguy, there is a difference between the Mobil1 0W-30 sold commercially and the one that is sold by saab. The version sold by saab, made by Mobil/Exxon, has more additives that are specifically formulated for diesel and high output turbo engines. From what I've read on virgin oil analysis, it's very good oil and I doubt that its use would lead to premature, ie., less than 200k mile, bearing failure. However, the 'off-the-shelf' commercial version of M1 0W-30 is another story - there are many documented analyses that show its' viscosity drops after a few thousand miles

·
Registered
23 Posts
Good day to you all.
This is my 1st post on this site, but ive gotta start somewhere.
This is a subject that interests me greatly, due to my last 2 9000's dying of what seemed to be the bottom ends going. As I work at a car shop and am due an oil change, I have been eyeing up the options.
I think I currently have 0-40 mobil 1 fully synthetic in there at the mo (came with).
The comma listing recommends their 5-30 semi synthetic but I thought that was a bit thin, espeacialy since I've got 140,000 miles on the clock.
But, I was talking to a friend with a cossie & he reckons castrol formula RS is the one to use (i think 10w-60) sounds good, any ideas?!?!

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Hi Sideways and welcome to Saabscene.

Oil choice can be a fairly emotive subject, but there are a few things that are given, namely that for turbos it must be a fully synthetic oil of the recommended viscosity.

As for Mobil 1, well Saab wanted to sell it as their own branded turbo oil, but Mobil wouldn't let them, so they bought an alternative fully synthetic oil from Mobil instead...

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I always thought Catrol RS 10W60 fully synthetic would be the best thing to put in Saabines engine after the mineral fill for running in, and as luck would have it my local Saab shop stocks it. So I called Frank (Sweedspeed) who built the engine for me to ask whether he would be OK with that, just to be sure, and his answer was an empathic "NO!". Something about a high sulphur content or so. He recommended Mobil 1 or Valvoline fully synthetic, and no 0W weight oils. As every outlet I know here only stocks Mobil 1 in 0W40, I ended up with Valvoline 5W50 fully synthetic from a Cosworth tuner. He said that's what goes in all Cosworths and other assorted, similar hi po machines he gets in for servicing. So going on Franks recommendation and the fact that Saabine sports forged Cossie pistons, I am confident that I can't go wrong here, really...

·
Registered
477 Posts
A friend of mine used to work at the Mobil refinery on the Thames, where they make Mobil 1. The technicians at the plant told him that Mobil 1 was good for 100,000 miles as long as you change the oil filter every 10-12K.

Neil

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Originally posted by Neil M:
[qb]A friend of mine used to work at the Mobil refinery on the Thames, where they make Mobil 1.  The technicians at the plant told him that Mobil 1 was good for 100,000 miles as long as you change the oil filter every 10-12K.

Neil [/qb][/b]
I await an interesting and forthright response from one of our American correspondents.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Originally posted by Neil M:
[qb]A friend of mine used to work at the Mobil refinery on the Thames, where they make Mobil 1.  The technicians at the plant told him that Mobil 1 was good for 100,000 miles as long as you change the oil filter every 10-12K.

Neil [/qb][/b]
wow... i must've blown a lot of extra money changing my oil every 6k miles then...

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Amsoil makes a kit with two large supplimentary oil filters that extends the service life from between 6-10K all the way out to 25-35K ... and that's just the "reccomended interval". Our 99 Toyota Avalon, while by NO means a performance automobile, went for over 50,000 miles without one oil change (I blame cheap tightwad parents ), and survived not only with still perfect compression in every cyllinder, but indeed didn't see to take on any noticable adverse affects once the bad oil was removed from the system. The car now has over 108,000 miles and runs absolutely perfect on only 3 Oil changes, and one tranny fluid change. It hasn't even required new brakes yet. Gotta say, as far as maintenance, we really lucked out with that car, BUT I think with these facts in mind I could believe that Mobil 1 could be good to 100K miles in a LOW performance motor. Synthetic oils rarely break down, they just collect carbon and other minerals in the oil, which are deposited (thanks to the detergents in the oil) into the oil filter. My only concern therefor would be that the Mobil 1 would run out of detergents after a couple filter changes, and would stop cleaning the engine. But I'm sure with a good oil cooling system, and a biiiig filter, you could easily go 20K miles on the normal oil as long as you don't
much.

·
Registered
272 Posts
In all my cars www.motul.com , very expensive , but for high performance or hard use simply the best .

The 300V range is my favorit , but only for someone who "ask" a lot of is engine , like high speed and track days .

The use a lot in Porsche's and historic racing .

·
Registered
23 Posts
Right, after much thought (thanx all for the advice) I have purchased my my oil and have selected 15w-50 mobil 1 supersyn (£29 for 4litres!!! & thats with staff discount!!!) just saving for another bottle now for when my 9k comes back out to terroize the streets again!
Decided I'm going to use a genuine SAAB filter, as they apparently have a valve in them and are only about a fiver.

My next question is:

What are people using/recommendimg to put in the (manual) gearbox? I hear you can only put mineral oil in?

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
There has been much correspondence about this in recent times. I seem to recall there is a Saab synthetic oil used in later gearboxes, but I only have automatics, so don't take my word for it.. I suggest you do a search, which will turn up enough to cure insomnia.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts