Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My CD has a manually locking fuel cap (not central locking controlled), I can't get the ****ing thing off!!!

Does anyone know a way to get fuel into the car easily without having to cut out the pipe and replace it?

I am supposed to be picking my sister up from Heathrow airport at 9-00am tomorrow. At the moment it looks like I'm going to have to scrounge a lift off one of my mates.

HELP!

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
What is the problem? Has the key stopped working, broken, etc., or does it unlock be just not come off? Is it worth trying a locksmith? Are you in the AA or some other motoring organisation? I know they can help if you lock yourself out of the car.

The only other way I can think of is to remove the fuel pump and pour the fuel in there. Not something you could easily do at a filling station (nor would they allow you to), but if you had a supply of fuel, by siphoning from another car, say. Be extra-careful about fumes, though. Petrol fumes in an enclosed space mixed with air are explosive and bad to breath in.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Basically the key turns but the lock mechanism isn't engaging properly, the cap turns with some resistance but won't unscrew. I've had probs with it before and for a while I was leaving it unlocked, but this probably isn't a great idea.

Nope, not in the AA at the moment. I phoned them and I would get hit with an £85 callout charge as a non-member, I will join later though!! I've got enough fuel to get me to the nearest dealer in Brum but that will have to wait until next week.

Luckily my mate Nick is not busy tomorrow so he's giving me a lift to Heathrow. I will owe him a few pints I think!!

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got the cap off in the end, after 15 minutes of spraying with WD-40 and heavy-handed manipulation! Now have a full tank of gas. But the fuel caps staying unlocked until I can get a replacement!

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Your point about the AA and call out charge: I know the RAC will come out on the day you join, just won't give you relay cover. Not sure if the AA are the same but would've thought so.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What they quoted me was £130 for relay and home start cover + £85 call out charge. Or I had the option of just paying the £85 call out charge and not joining.

Perhaps I told them too much and they saw an easy opportunity to shaft me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.