Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right chaps!,
Im going to look at a 9K turbo 89 with my 'old man' shortly as he needs a cheap run around for a while, its a manual with 125000 miles, what should i look out for on it apart from the engine which i know enough about from the experiences with my 900 T16S!!!
Any replies much appreciated, be quick im going at about 12.30pm!!!

cheers Pete.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Body work: run your hand under the doors to check for rust bulging. The door drainage holes don't always drain, water builds up, hence rust.

Try this page of the Quasi site for possible engine problems if you haven't done so already.

If you're in luck most of the problems will have happened about 25,000 miles back and were replaced then.
Good luck

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
rattling timing chains = walk away
abs light coming on =mot fail =could be costly
sludgy oil = poorly maintained = turbo problems
Any blue smoke = turbo seals = expensive
when out for the test drive ..try changing gear quickly 2-3 and 3-4 if you can feel the gears engaging the syncro's are worn = expense

good luck

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well we went to see it at 1.30pm, it was a bit of a trek in the pi55ing rain i can tell you!!,i said to my father that it would be rather amusing if it turned out to be a Carlsson as the old gent that was selling it on behalf of his late Brother-in-law really didnt know much about the car other than the age and some of the history behind it.
Sure enough when we entered the road i knew it was a Carlsson!!!, the reason that people hadn't snapped it up was that it was incorrectly advertised as a 900 5 door T16 and everyone that phoned the old chap wasnt interested in a 9000 turbo (obviously the chap didnt mention the word Carlsson!).
It needs a few bits and pieces doing as it has stood for 6 months!, the fuel pump is very noisey and the car is misfiring under anything more than a touch on the throttle, ive ordered a new one from ECP, the ABS light comes on when the car gets upto speed so i would hazard a guess that one on the speed sensors is dirty (i have good knowledge of Bosch ABS systems after having to fault find my missus's BMW system!), and the brakes need a good going over as the pedal is very dead.
As mentioned previously the chap really didnt know what he was selling and just wanted it rid of as he was getting complaints from his neighbours and when i went through the list of problems to be fixed we agreed on a price of £250!!!!.
The body and engine are in very good condition and the paint just needs some tlc, very sweet gearchange, good tyres all round -Yoko's on the rear and Michelins on the front.
It has 3 owners and 125,000 miles with stamps upto 90,000 and the last service was at 125,000 and the car has hardly moved since.
No real rust to speak of, and best of all 6 months tax and seven months mot left!
My old man's a very happy chappy!!!

Another Saab to add to the family!!

Cheers Pete.

·
Registered
763 Posts
You didn't say......did he pay you the £250.00 to take it off him? Hope you don't have to buy a new ABS pump and the other 'slight' misperfections don't cost you the earth! The "old gent" may have the last laugh.....with a pint held high at his local tonite!

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mutungi- thats a new one on me, going to buy a car and getting paid to do so! , no we paid £250 for it, i dont think its the pump as the ABS light goes out as soon as the car is started and only comes on when the car starts to move which indicates that it is picking up an error due to movement- ie a failed wheel sensor or something similar.
At least i hope so otherwise the magic pockets will have to re-appear at my local breakers yard!!
Pete.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep, everythings nearly sorted, just got to get the ABS sorted now.
The missfire was actually a faulty DI unit which i managed to pick up for £30+vat including a rear light unit(cracked) and a heated mirror glass.
Going to do the fuel pump when he leaves the car with me as he flys from Gatwick (we do holiday parking for friends and family!) as its very noisy.

Laters
Pete.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts