Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a 2005 9-3 1.9TiD Vector Sport with 65k on the clock. I'm having some problems which from reading, point to a clogged EGR valve.

Symptoms are no power at low revs, initially only when cold but now on and off any time through a journey.

When I arrived home tonight and turned the car off the check engine light came on as well.

I really really need to get this sorted as I need the car to commute from Middlesbrough to Newcastle. Unfortunately I can't really afford to book it in anywhere so I want to have a go at cleaning it myself.

So..

If possible could someone point out where on the 8v engine the EGR valve lives? I assume once I have located it I simply remove and clean it with carb cleaner before replacing it?

I would really appreciate some help locating the valve and any information to help with cleaning it.

Many thanks in advance,

Danny :(

·
Registered
544 Posts
Its right at the front of the engine, between the engine and radiator.

You will see a couple of small brass looking pipes coming out of the side

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for that, I didn't see your instructions, I tried to remove the bolts as below with an allen key but couldn't shift them. I suppose I'm using the wrong tools. I can't imagine how you'd get to the number 4 bolts either!

Once I've managed to get it off and clean it is there some way to reset the engine warning light/limp home mode?

Thanks again

·
Registered
544 Posts
My car went into Limp home mode once but it went back to normal when I turned off and restarted the engine........ until it failed again (mine was split intercooler but all the symptoms point to EGR Valve).

The Engine lamp remained on until Saab connected their Tech2 to the car

·
Registered
210 Posts
My car went into limp mode and had no acceleration at all. When I contacted the garage they said it was unlikely that it was the EGR as it tends to be a problem with the 150 rather than the 120 bhp.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My car went into limp mode and had no acceleration at all. When I contacted the garage they said it was unlikely that it was the EGR as it tends to be a problem with the 150 rather than the 120 bhp.[/b]
What did it turn out to be on yours?

I've read that some 120s suffer although the 150 is more common

·
Registered
210 Posts
The symptoms on mine were that I steadily accelerated away from a roundabout, there was a pop and then the power went. As soon as I tried to accelerate, it faltered and was very juddery. I managed to get home at about 25 mph and then rang the garage. The service manager who I find really good then said he doubted it was the EGR as mine is a 120 (unfortunately). Got the AA out and they thought it may be a loose or split hose from the turbo. Couldn't find anything so they recovered the car to the dealers. Turned out the turbo had gone so a new one was fitted.

Interestingly, no fault codes showed up and when I started the car, even with the blown turbo, it went through the checks on startup and came up 'OK'.

Mine had only done 20000miles when this happened.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The symptoms on mine were that I steadily accelerated away from a roundabout, there was a pop and then the power went. As soon as I tried to accelerate, it faltered and was very juddery. I managed to get home at about 25 mph and then rang the garage. The service manager who I find really good then said he doubted it was the EGR as mine is a 120 (unfortunately). Got the AA out and they thought it may be a loose or split hose from the turbo. Couldn't find anything so they recovered the car to the dealers. Turned out the turbo had gone so a new one was fitted.

Interestingly, no fault codes showed up and when I started the car, even with the blown turbo, it went through the checks on startup and came up 'OK'.

Mine had only done 20000miles when this happened.[/b]
Thanks, that doesn't sound like whats happening with mine, my symptoms match exactly others on here and uksaab that have had egr problems. I need to go and get a torque wrench and some hex sockets tomorrow morning to try and get it off to clean it. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi guys,

Right, I managed to get it off, you wouldn't believe how dirty it was!

The car seems to be running better, I'll know more after I've managed to clear the fault codes/check engine light hopefully. Can anyone help with this or do I have to take it to the dealer? They've quoted £31 to read and reset!

Dirty EGR

Gunk

Gaskets (replaced the same ones)

Clean!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update: The car ran fine this morning so it does appear that it was an EGR fault. Hope the images help others with the same problem.

Cheers
Dan

·
Registered
115 Posts
i plan on doing this on saturday.?
Never done it before, but it is easy? like just taking outsome bolts, and the egr is free easy?

Also i cant see this pics, you wouldnt put them up again please?

Cheers :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i plan on doing this on saturday.?
Never done it before, but it is easy? like just taking outsome bolts, and the egr is free easy?

Also i cant see this pics, you wouldnt put them up again please?

Cheers :)[/b]
Yep, no problem. I can't edit my posts to update the links for some reason so I'll create a new HOWTO thread so people don't have to read through all this. I'll post a link here when I've done it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I will be doing the same job as well this weekend - 93k miles 1.9 TID 120 - it's still running fine but the engine check light came on yesterday.

Took it to perry and prouse in somerset and they read the fault as insufficient flow through the ERG. Then they reset the light (it came on again later that day though) all for free. Excellent service, I will use them again.

www.perryandprouse.co.uk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts