Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done a search on this subject and can't find a lot of info, can anyone help?
What rating is the standard actuator and what are the upgraded ones?
What benefits will one give me, has anyone done one and what are your views? worth it?
I know Abbott do one but can't find details of it on their site, where else would I get one?
TIA,
Andy

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry Mark, I'm learning all the time but I saw your post and whooooooosh, it went straight over me!
What exactly does that mean in relation to my initial questions?

Sorry for being so dim, must try harder

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Uprated actuators are of greatest benefit when running higher boost. Ideally you should get the actuator spring set to 1-2psi below your desired base boost. This ensures minimum preload.

Given the wide range of base boosts I would guess that a stock Saab actuator spring is about 3-4psi. An uprated one can be anything you specify.

Motorsport Developments supply a wide range of actuators.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I actually uprated my wastegate actuator a few weks ago See thread HERE.
Mine is running on a remapped ECU, so I can't comment on how any such upgrade would work on a standard ECU.
What I did notice is that the uprated actuator works best with a dump valve upgrade as well. I went to the recent PoweMax show at the NEC ( ) and tried out my setup against a few boy racers. Worked a treat .
I actually took some interesting pics at that show. But none of them were from SAABs, so no show....

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anyone any idea how much the Abbott uprated actuator is? I know I can ring them tomorrow but when I get an idea in me head I get impatient

Normally avoid Abbott due to the cost but having read loads on here about this upgrade it seems that the alternatives (HKS, Forge etc) all involve cutting the rod, rethreading and general buggering around that seems a little too intense for me

So I'm assuming Abbotts version is plug n play?

If I am running base boost at 8PSI (does that sound OK for a stage 3?)what rating would the new actuator need to be? Oh, and I'm getting a high flow intercooler when Sweden realise that the rest of the world is still awake!
will this make any difference to my base boost rating?

Is the actuator an easy DIY job, considering my expertise stretches to plugs, filters, oil and pad changes

Thats all for now!
TIA,
Andy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts