Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the search for the "safest and most reliable" power upgrades for my 9000 I've got all the airflow sorted now (with the exception of possibly adding a flowed & ported head) and am now turning to the fuelling and, more specifically, the injectors.

A brief period surfing has unearthed some useful info- like for example around 300hp is right on the limit for the present injectors because it requires a very high duty cycle (somewhere towards 90%- best practice says no more than 80%, ideally below 70%). The problem with high duty cycles is that you start getting unpredictable performance.

So, I'm on the hunt for uprated injectors to make sure things are running happily. AS a starting point, I'd like to confirm the Bosch OE part number, which I believe to be 0 280 155 009. Can anyone confirm this?

Secondly, it would appear that one of the Bosch 400 series, particularly the 0 280 150 403 may be suitable. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Lastly, does anyone have figures for the fuel pump flow capacity?

Sorry for all the q's but I promise to post back the results for general consumption!!

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
I don't know whether the 009 part number is correct. I have heard that the '93 had Lucas injectors, which were bigger than any others used on the 9000. These were marked "D5162EA", black with a blue stripe. Have a look at your injectors to confirm the part number. I've read that the '94-on injectors were Bosch 0280 150 431.

The 403 injectors will flow twice as much as the 009, which sounds a bit excessive to me if the 009 part number turns out to be correct. How will you be controlling them? I may be wrong, but I'd be worried that adding these will put the mixture so far out of the range of the lambda sensor that the ECU will never get the mixture right. On top of that, WOT fuelling is open-loop and idling may be very rough.

A popular upgrade for high-powered 2.3Ts is Volvo "Green" injectors, Bosch p/n: 0 280 155 968, Volvo p/n: 9202100. I can't see them working well at all without suitable Trionic software, though.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bill,

Thanks for the info... my injectors are the black with blue stripes- I'll have to check the part numbers. Since my post I did a bit more digging and reckon the 403's will be somewhat OTT. I spoke to a Cossie tuner who recommended 803 series, although I haven't found any data on them. What I did find was this, which would seem to suggest that 403's would be OTT:

Injector ratings

As far as re-mapping requirements go, from my understanding of the Trionic system, as long as you don't step too far outside the parameters of the original kit, then it can cope; after all it does measure individual cylinder combustion and compensate.

I've also seen comments about rough idling too...

I think where I may go from here is to wait till I get my turbo set up sorted, then take her down to a decent rolling road and tweak things up whilst measuring mixture and EGT. That way I should be able to work out what needs tackling next- and it may well involve custom mapping which I suspect I'll probably have to talk to Maptun about.

Target? How about 320hp with a nice flat torque curve 300lbft+ from 3000rpm

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by Bubbles (fka Mark E):
[qb]Target? How about 320hp with a nice flat torque curve 300lbft+ from 3000rpm[/qb][/b]
Not impossible. Mine gives 310+ lbft from 2500-5000RPM. I think this is partly due to ignition remapping, though.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Mark,
I'd contact Maptun anyway for injector info, as there website says they've done a project 9000 with 366bhp and 500+ Nm. They've also done 400+ bhp Saab units and work with Trollspeed who built the 750+ bhp 2.0 unit that powered Per Eklund's works backed Pikes Peak 4x4 Viggen.
So they should be able to get all the info you need on injectors I would have thought.

Graham
(still making do with a stock 225 bhp... )

1 - 9 of 9 Posts