Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As detailed on another thread, my 9-3 (stage 3) isn't holding boost - it oscillates and then drops back. Having spoken to Motorsport Developments I am certain the wastegate is blowing open.

Bearing in mind I've tried two actuators (the original and a 2nd hand one) do I:

a) assume both actuators are tired and get a standard spec one made

B) uprate the actuator

In either case, Motorsport Developments need information to get the spring, etc right - and I don't really understand it. They said things like 'How much boost do you want to bleed off?'

Any idea what I need to tell them?

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
The boys at Motorsport developments should tell you! let them do the work and work it out for you! given the car type and turbo plus bhp etc they should be able to give you the best package available, They are the experts not you mate Any problems give me a shout and I'll go and see them for you

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Motorsport developments have sent me an uprated actuator intended for a Fiesta turbo (got it next day rather than waiting for one to be made) which fits fine, though the outlet is in a different orientation.

Boost seems to be well controlled, and can reach 1.3 bar as per BSR's spec, dropping back to about 0.9 bar at high revs.

Problem is, it seems to take a lot to get the wastegate to open, i.e. with just 2mm of preload, base boost seems to be about 0.7 bar.

Am I ok to run the car like this, or do I need a more lightly sprung actuator?

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Originally posted by Chouet:
[qb] do I need a more lightly sprung actuator? [/qb][/b]
Yes. If your base boost is to high, then Trionic will tend to adapt downwards as a protection meaure.

The spring should ideally be about 1-2psi less than your base boost for optimum preload.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Hi all, after reading all your above posts and Motorspors web page I'm begging to think that MY97 has a actuator problem.
When I gave her an oil change last weekend I took a good look at the underside of the turbo and actuator, I could pull the bar back onto it's self quite easily, now that I think about it, I'm sure that there should be more resistance than that I was feeling, it's return was slow to say the least. It has been playing on my mind all this week, until I read the above, now I'm sure.
What does the panel think ?
By the way, She has only done 79k mls and She is and LPT, 2.0lt, auto.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts