Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Yes, Mark I did... and it certainly performed well at Anglesey. However on a value for money and improvement basis on the intake side of things, I would say a high flow intercooler is better. I noticed a very big difference when I fitted it. I think the intake pipe only really comes into its own at the real high hp outputs, although it will certainly improve response.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Was thinking about getting this myself, did you fit it Mark or was is part of the Abbott work ?

I am after either - improved throttle response or slightly better top end, so it looks ideal to me.

Hey 3 Marks on one thread

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Yup, I did it myself. It's quite easy to fit, although forcing the end of it in to the elbow is quite difficult as it's a tight fit. The effect is marginal compared to other mods (see below) but still noticable.

At the risk of repeating myself, the intercooler makes a much bigger difference and offers more
pro rata for the money. I'd save a few more quid and go for that if I were you.

Other things that make a difference, all of which offer better value than the pipe in my experience, are- cat bypass, radiused downpipe, free flow air filter.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Woops! Sorry, didn't appreciate this was a Mark only thread.

I've had the intake pipe installed and I only really notice it at 90mph plus where the car does pull much more strongly. So, is it worth £225 to lose your licence?

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Originally posted by Gordy:
[qb] So, is it worth £225 to lose your licence? [/qb][/b]
Nope, but it could be worth it to those of us who take some strange pleasure out of whupping supposedly superior cars at track days

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
[qb]Woops! Sorry, didn't appreciate this was a Mark only thread.

I've had the intake pipe installed and I only really notice it at 90mph plus where the car does pull much more strongly. So, is it worth £225 to lose your licence? [/qb][/b]
sounds like changing your name to Mark by dead poll would have been a better investment

Seriously- do you not feel any difference at lower speeds?

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
There's a small improvement in response/reduction in lag... talking engine speeds but there's nothing to say that you also can't take advantage of it's benefits higher up the rev range in lower gears, especially as 2nd gear will get you to 70mph!!

·
Registered
547 Posts
70mph in second gear!!!!!!

Maybe in your flying machine, but my baby runs out of rev counter around 60mph in second. 3rd'll take me to about 105mph and then I chicken out.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
[qb]70mph in second gear!!!!!!

Maybe in your flying machine, but my baby runs out of rev counter around 60mph in second. 3rd'll take me to about 105mph and then I chicken out.    [/qb][/b]
Are you sure? You've not got a different final drive ratio have you? Even more 3rd also takes me to about 105...

·
Registered
547 Posts
Hmmm, perhaps a test is in order just to confirm. If anyone in Fife experiences an unexpected deluge of Saab engine parts falling from the sky you'll know it's all gone terribly wrong

I needed an excuse to get out the office anyway.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I managed to find an excuse to visit Dundee and I stand corrected - in 2nd gear 70mph is reached at 6k revs. I guess that can't be too far from the fuel cut off point though. I've always tried to change up once I hit 5.5k as the cut off point has caught me out a couple of times.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts