Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have bought the poly' upper mounts (9000 Turbo)replacements. Is it a difficult to remove the old rubber ones, and fit the poly ones? I obviously have to use the metal housing 'ring' form the old mounts?
Any advice appreciated.
I have read a few threads here about it. I hope to get good news on the ease of this.
Cheers from Aust'
Chris

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
If the new ones you have like the Abbott ones (have a look on their website), then you do not need the outer metal rings that the standard ones sit in. If you are lucky, the standard one will push out with a bit off effort. If not, put a hacksaw blade through the gap in the rubber, reattach the hacksaw, and saw your way outwards through the metal. This will allow the metal ring to collapse and fall out.

As for putting in the new ones, it depends what you have. The Abbott ones are in two halves, so they are easy. Others I believe are one piece and I believe there have been suggestions that putting them in very hot water for a while makes them easier to put in. Washing up detergent makes a good lubricant too.

Let us know exactly what type you have.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mark,
The ones I have are made by a suspension supplier here in Australia(Fulcrum Suspension) and they are one piece(also are of a softer type of poly, so I am told which won't be so harsh). This is why I asked, as I had seen the Abbot ones on the net, and noticed mine were not 2 piece. Well I have a bit of work to do tomorrow.
Did anyone see the gadget?? that was/is on offer on e-bay for the top mount? Apparently very successful, a piece of plastic you jam in the gaps of the rubber mount to make them sturdier?
I'll take my chance with new mounts.
Chris

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
the key tp getting them in is to even out the pressure across the bush

I used my garage vice but was carefull to make sure the push was even across the bush by using bits of 4x2...

good luck

ps remember to duck if it pings....

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BTW
The monuts I have purchased are identical to the Poly ones on the ELKparts site.

Got the upper part of the mount off today, but wasn't sure if I knew xactly what I had to do.
I'm here now busily reading what to do.
I take it that I just cut the old rubber bush out of the housing, leaving the ring in the upper arm. Once I have cleaned all the rubber out I fit the poly bush. I have a good bench vice, and a couple of pieces of wood to place either side of the bush and mount, so as not to damage anything.
$40 was what I was quoted by the supplier to fit them, may-be it isn't worth skinned knuckles or bruised fingers?
Chris

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Originally posted by aus9000T16:
[qb]I take it that I just cut the old rubber bush out of the housing, leaving the ring in the upper arm.                              
Chris [/qb][/b]
The metal ring is removed with the old bush. If you compare the width of the narrow centre section of the new bush with the metal "arm", you'll find that they are the same size.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hahaha Xassh,
I will have bruises and skinned knuckles 'cause I couldn't find a way to get my big hands into undo the bottom bolts on the engine mount.
Had the top mount off, got the top and first bolt off the engine mount side....just couldn't get to the other bolt, need to buy a longer 12mm spanner.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Its easier if you do it in situ, get a hacksaw and feed the blade into the gap in the rubber bush, reconnect and carefully cut the outer bush, it then pushes out easily. Get a sharp stanley knife and cut the new bush exactly in 2, fit split bushes, insert steel insert and tighten up.
Job done

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mark,
The bushes I have are the same as the one piece ones you can buy in the UK/USA by superflex I think. These are super-pro ones and I have decided to take the mounts off the car and take them back to the palce I bought the inserts and get them o fit them. I will order the 2 piece gearbox mounts from somewhere O/S when I need them so I can fit them easily too.
Are there any substitute mounts for the hydraulic lower mounts made by Saab? Possibly poly? I may have to get Fulcrum suspension here in Brisbane to look at making up a trial set.

Thanks for all replies.
Chris

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I don't believe there any other main engine mounts, and if there were, you wouldn't want them. The main reason for using hydraulic mounts is to isolate all those nasty vibrations from the cabin, something that poly isn't particularly good at.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
FYI - I cut my superflex poly one on half with a thin blade. The central metal tube holds it all together and it takes about 2 mins to fit this way (no press required)
I did the arm in new standard bush and the engine side in Poly. Vibration is noticably more at idle (not too bad) but I reckon a fully polyed torque arm could be quite harsh.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Very good idea faero.....he thought actually crossed my mind yesterday when I was looking at the 2 piece ones, but I dismissed it as crazy. You are right, the bolt would also hold it all together. I may give cutting the old one out tomorrow a try, and just fitting the upper one first. In 2 pieces. Still need long 12mm spanner to reach bolts for bottom of engine side of mount though. Can't quite seem to reach it or see an easy way of getting the bolts undone qithout removing half the injection gear. And I thought French cars were tightly packed....haha they have nothing on the Sweedes.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Are you trying to take the engine side mount off? I did it all in situ using 1) A 12mm drill bit to drive out lots of the rubber and 2) The backward hacksaw blade method to cut the ring then 3) some hammer/chisel action to bend/drive out the ring.
Does involve pretty much kneeling on top of the engine though...

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
For now I am getting the torque arm mount removed tomorrow,by the place I purchased the bushes from.
I am going to try to get myself a bush-press(beg, borrow, hire??) from somewhere and remove-refit the other one with that.
Out of interest , Has anyone else had trouble removing the engine mounting? I found I couldn't get the lower right bolt out past the power steering pump mount. I will have to leave it on the car and get it out with the Saab tool I guess.
Not being too familiar with Saabs as yet, I don't want to disturb too much.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi Aus9000T16, I live in Australia too and I have a number of posts in this forum using the name 'kiamaian', I live at Kiama NSW and own a 1994 CS which I bought recently.

At the moment I am removing the gearbox to replace the clutch. I was surprised to find the gearbox mount absolutely 'shot' and now I will have to check the other mounts.

I used Lovell's poly bushes in the front control arms and couldn't fit them using a ten ton press. I went back to the supplier who pressed them in free of charge in view of the fact I had already removed the old rubber bushes and because of the trouble I had experienced. The supplier told me they never cut the bushes in half to fit them.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
In case it helps, although it's a different bush, I had trouble fitting poly bushes when I tried squeezing them in a vice. They just kept springing out. People here gave suggestions and I persevered.

Here's how I did one, the trick is using a firm base and even pressure, which I achieved by using a long threaded rod. The bushes go into all sorts of shapes and then finally just pop in.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thnaks Kiamaian,
And Hi. Thanks also to David Taylor. I paln on removing the old one still there by hack-saw and the new one should be quite easy as the outer lip is not too large. If I have trouble I figured out I could use one of those 3 jaw wheel pullers available almost anywhere.
Kiamaian, Who sells Lovells bushes? I know lovells do springs out here.
I am getting a full set of bushes for the rear of my 9000 next wek, a few will be poly (lower control arms and the sway bar 'D' bushes, and the rest in rubber. ) Will be $213 for full set, better than original items, at $500+.
Cheers Chris.....(melting here in Qld today, 32 Deg C and climbing.)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.