Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I had the lower front and rear Hydrolic engine mounts changed not so long ago on my 9000, and when the guy done them, he said its got rid of most of the vibration, but the upper engine mount and the GearBox mount have excess play in them so they also will need changing soon.
My question is, are they difficult to change myself? And will I need special tools etc? The parts are quite Cheap from GSF so thats not a problem, its whether I pay to have them changed or attempt it myself..

Thanks for the help
Ant

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi,

You need a hydraulic press to fit the GSF upper mounts. I tried it without and broke the casting that mounts the alternator!!

The gearbox mount was easy, but I believe there are 2 types.

Simon

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Change the upper mounts with Powerflex split ones, cut old ones out with a hacksaw, took me 30 mins to change both top mounts.
Gearbox mount also use Powerflex split type, took me 1 hour to replace this, cut old one out with hacksaw again. Very easy to do.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I've been wanting to change my upper engine mounts as well, but was unsure if I was up to the job. Having looked at the existing ones on the car there appears to be a rubber bush inside a metal collar that itself is then mounted inside the metal bracket. When replacing the mounts is it just the rubber part that is removed, or the rubber part with the metal collar that it is in? Reason I ask is that the replacment poly ones I've seen can be bought either as the poly part alone (eg. elkparts) or inside the metal collar. Cheers. Kev

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I haven't seen any polybushes already inside an insert. You need to take the metal outer section out complete with the rubber insert. Take a hacksaw to pieces, reassemble with the blade thru the bush, keep the blade level and after about 5 minutes of sawing, be careful not to go too far, and gently tap out the bush.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
If you do a search down the 9000 forum you will find posts from me with pictures of changing the the dogbone mounts and also the Gearbox mount.

tru searchinf in 9000, with 'poly' and member no 1023.

They don't take too long to do if you are prepared.

Andrew.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.