Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The only weak point on my HOT estate is the brakes, which for such a large powerful car are in my opinion poor.

What options do I have for upgrading them, my dealer told me about an Abbot kit that uses AP racing parts, anyone have any experience of this and can give me an idea of cost?
Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
I've only got 170 hp on my auto, and the brakes are not that good either. Not so much bad as inconsistent. The Pagid pads are better than the standard but are only consistent when warmed up.

I'm thinking of going to something like those shown on Trent Saab site

There are others around, but maybe you just need a change of pad. Lots of info on the board from ylee coyote, markE and BillJ on things they've done to their 300hp cars.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
AP brakes are cetainly an option, but they are expensive- at least £1300 plus VAT and fitting.

The 9-5 does have signifcantly better brakes than the 9000 that it replaced, so before you go to the expense of APs I would look to try different combinations of pads and discs.

Ferodo DS2500 is a very good all round pad, and I believe a 9-5 fitting is available. Trent Saab probably supply them, but if you could find the part no, you will almost certainly get them cheaper from a motorsport dealer.

I've no doubt plenty of other folk will be along soon to offer their experience...

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Blimey, if you think the 9-5 Aero is poor you should try an old 9000! The standard brakes, particularly on early ABS cars, are shockingly unresposnive.

Are you gettting problems with excessive pedal travel? I know of 9-3's with that problem and it's a tricky one to sort. Your best bet might be to drive a similar spec car and decide whether or not your car has a proble or whether or not you just think the 9-5's brakes ARE poor.

For the 9-5 you have more choice, as you'll already have decent sized disks you could try going for a more aggressive pad. Trent Saab do a Grey-Iron disk and Ferodo pad combo for most Saab's, not sure if they do them for 9-5's, you can always ask. These do stop a 9000 very quickly and utlise standard calipers.

http://www.trentsaab.co.uk/brake.html

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Excessive pedal travel is also a problem, I also have to stamp on them quite hard to get any real stopping power.

I used to have a Peugeot 406 1.8 and the brakes on that were far more responsive.

I feel as though even a normal braking procedure is more like an emergency stop when it comes to how much pressure I'm putting on the pedal.

The dealer did test and inspect the car and claims the brakes are no different to other 9-5's.

Thanks for all your replies so far.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I've ordered Formel Discs in combination with Tarox pads on my 9000. The discs are specially made for my car as the manufacturer doesn't stock them. I was planning to put them on tomorrow but delivery isn't there yet. So next week must do. Will let you know how this turns out.

·
Registered
382 Posts
i have just fitted tarox g88 discs with tarox fast road pads on all four wheels compared to standard equipment they are brilliant total cost fitted £566

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Peter,

Which model Saab do you drive?

Chris

EDIT: don't worry i just checked your profile, it says there a 9000.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Chris,

As MarkE has already stated try Ferodo DS2500 pads, they've made a huge difference to the inital bite and subjective performance of my 9000 Aero brakes. It takes far less pressure now to achieve a satisfactory retardation and all for £82 for the front axle set. The only fly in the ointment is a small amount of squeal, but for the improvement it's worth putting up with.

Nick.

·
Registered
382 Posts
thanks for the welcome note.
for your information i drive a 9000 2.0lpt with the following mods. maptun ecu. jt complete exhaust system with sport cat. koni sports springs and dampers. tarox g88 discs and pads.the car has covered 30k miles. and i love every minute i am driving this car

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all your help guys, I intend to use the remainder of the life left in the pads and discs then upgrade, (about 3 months).

I'll probably go for the Ferodo pads to start with and if still not happy I'll move onto Peter Messengers suggestion.

Chris

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've just found Godspeed Brakes <www.godspeedbrakes.co.uk> and their stuff looks really good on the web page. Have any one tried their 308mm or 325mm brakes? Any other information about the company?

To get 330mm brakes here in Sweden you have to pay 1800 Euro (18000 SEK)

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Friberg,
Ylee has fitted the 325mm kit from Godspeed to his 9000 Aero, so I'm sure he'll be along soon to give you the details. Do a search around the Performance forum and the 9000 Forum for Godspeed and you find the other threads....there are a few of them

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
I have the 325mm conversion... and it does exactly as advertised,the brakes are now what they should be and now I do not worry when I press the brake pedal..
downside is the pads are unfortunately a little squeeky but that is a commom complaint with mintex 1144 pads
at the track day the brakes were awsome
however godspeed is a one man band and it is best to converse by e-mail !!
He has an interesting big disc conversion (for the back wheels) for not much money at all and I have asked if this could be fitted to the fronts ..
no prob (keeps the same caliper )
I might go this way for the carly ...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Originally posted by ylee coyote:
[qb]He has an interesting big disc conversion (for the back wheels) for not much money at all and I have asked if this could be fitted to the fronts ..no prob (keeps the same caliper )
I might go this way for the carly ... [/qb][/b]
Good to hear... I got the feeling that the company was just Ian But as long as the stuff he's selling are good there's no point avioding the company.

I'm really looking forward to better brakes - 330+ bhp needs good stoppers

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hi Peter Messenger,

You have exactly the tuning combination I am planning to do on my 9000 2.0 LPT. Did buy the car with the maptun upgrade or did you install it?

If you did I would be very interested in hearing about how it behaves!!!!!!!!!!

Søren

·
Registered
382 Posts
hi soren
i fitted the muptun upgrade my self it is very easy to install it takes about 1 hour
the difference is better starting. the engine seems to run smoother. the car is in fifth more than ever before due to more torque.
and of course it is much faster.100mph seems to come along very quickly.
the problem i have is i do not seem to be able to drive very sensibly anymore.
the koni suspension and tarox brakes have transformed my car it now feels very safe to drive at much higher speeds than before it drives very flat around corners and stopping from high speed is now so easy the brakes seem so strong with no fade. i hope this helps you

1 - 20 of 26 Posts