185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok decided to upgrade my 93lpt coupe T5 MY00

Stage 1 Elkparts
Koni Dampers
Eibach springs
EBC Drilled/Slotted Sport brake discs
New ID cassette (just in case)

What bushes would it be wise to upgrade as well or can I leave the existing as are?

Will the poly make any difference ride wise or do they just have a longer life?

I am going for the EBC discs on the assumption the standard pads will work as they were only newly fitted 6 months ago. Is this the case? And will they give better stopping power.

I understand the Konis are adjustable I would like the ride not to be to hard suitable for ever day driving what setting (how may turns) would be a good starting point from your experience?

Boost Gauge while this is not required I was thinking of going for a digital read out with remote sensor so as to be able to minimise its visual impact has anyone any experience with these type of gauges?

Steering rack upgrade dose not seem to the available from Elkpark's web page any more, anyone know why ? and is there an alternative supplier who would ship to Ireland?

Sorry for all the questions. I would welcome any comments or suggest for improvements on the above.

and looking forward to the

Eoin

·
Registered
172 Posts
I don't profess to be a brake expert but after speaking to the supplier of Ferrodo fast road pads on advice on drilled disks I was advised that unless you spend serious money on the drilled disks (£200+ each) then all the drilled disks are standard ones with drilled holes. He was giving me about the best unbiased advice as he did not sell disks so have no advantage in telling me either way. They therefore are unlikely to give any more stopping power than the standard EBC disks and will give you more noise and vibration. You would be better off changing the pads to Ferrodo DS 2500 if they are available for your car with standard EBC disks. If you can get Brembo disks then all the better as they work better than the EBC's (both being plain). I am tried both Brembo and EBC disks on a 9000 and a 95 but I don't know if the pads and Brembo disks are available for your car. I was also able to get the EBC disks (Brembo where not available for a 95 Aero otherwise I would have purchased these again) at less than £90 delivered, and these were for 308mm disks, far cheaper than I have seen elsewhere and I would guess would be even cheaper for smaller disks. They also do the drilled EBC if you haven't changed your mind cheaper than elsewhere. PM me for the supplier details.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will thanks, how are these pads for every day driving do they need to warm up?

I have heard that some fast road pads need to heat up before performing.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Hi Eoin,
Ferrodo DS2500 pads do not require any warming up before working their best. Their co-efficient of friction is far higher than standard Saab pads and as such gives greater grip at any given pedal pressure.
The downside is greater 'dusting' and on some cars a slight squealing noise on light applications of the pedal at low speeds.
Nick.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Yeah - that's one thing that is often missed when we hear that the performance pads need to 'warm-up' before they reach their best.
In the case of my Pagid fast road pads:
When cold they are slightly better than standard.
When hot they are a lot better.
The DS2500 will be better again.
i.e. You win on all fronts... until you clean the wheels

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks,

Rang Elkparts they don’t do the steering rack clamp any more

Will probably get the VRK from Abbott

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Eoin,

Not done a lot with my 95 Aero but put Red Dot discs and DS2500 - They've been great - fine on cold start and also on a very hot track day in May at Brands. So Win - Win all round!

Advice, supply and fit was from http://www.balancemotorsport.co.uk/ but Abbott or Elk will sort these as well.

Discs 308mm - RedDot FF drilled & grooved discs - £221 ex vat ( £259.67 inc)
Pads - FERODO DS2500 pads. £99.16 inc vat
Total cost £358.83

1 - 7 of 7 Posts