Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing my 9000 CSE and am looking at a 9-3 (hatchback needed) I would like the extra poke of a HOT but they are pretty rare hence expensive.
Has anyone had the experience of upgrading an LPT to around the 200bhp mark? What is the impact on reliability and running costs?
First post on this forum so please forgive any protocol breaches.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome to Saabscene, Trickydickie

There are several on here who have upgraded LPT 9-3s to varying extents. Fawlty and Julian spring instantly to mind but there are many others (who, I hope, won't be offended that I can't recall them right at this minute).

If you use a reputable, Saab-oriented tuner such as Speedparts, Maptun, Abbott Racing or Hirsch Performance, you shouldn't have any problems with reliability. And in some cases economy could increase, although that all depends on how much you use the extra

Cheers

James

PS don't worry about protocol, we're a pretty relaxed bunch here. You could always take a quick look at the AUP though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks James,
I have gone and bought a 2001 9.3 SE t in Cosmic Blue, I am going to run it around for a bit then use the forum to try and work out the best way for some extra

Cheers
Richard

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I am right in thinking that the 9-3 did come with the 185 bhp engine, so why not consider one of those - easier to upgrade and you get a boost gauge included which is not on the LPT. The LPT was set at base boost so a new ECU will take you to about 227bhp (Speedparts) but I believe you will also need to fit an APC. You will also have to fit your own boost gaguge but these can be obtained from places such as Elkparts - link on the site somewhere - who can also supply Speedparts ECU's - there are of course other to choose from Maptun, Hirsch etc .If you do upgrade, you may also want to consider replacing the front section of the exhaust with a 3" downpipe to allow the hotter gases to get away from the turbo more efficiently and gain even more performance.

Mike

Ooops - missed the bit where you said that you had bought a car - anyway still applies in principal.

Mike

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Mike
Tried to get a 185bhp model but could not (or just not patient enough
)find one with the right mileage, history, paint, etc.
Thanks for the advice, I will be making enquiries with tuners in a couple of months .
Cheers
Richard

1 - 8 of 8 Posts