Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Description of the Problem:
Engine will cut-out for a split second when driving (the car has stalled only once since the problems surfaced, when I was driving slowly in stop and go traffic). When the engine is still cold, the voltage meter shows a steady 14.1-14.3. As the engine gets very warm (but still safely outside the red zone), the voltage read-out becomes more erratic, going frequently anywhere from13.9/8 to 13.2 or 13.0, etc. When the engine cuts-out for that split second, the voltage meter shows a precipitous drop to 12.5 or less. At times after the engine cuts-out for those split seconds, the clock shows 0:00 instead of the correct time.

Service performed to find the problem:
· Charging system checked
· Alternator output checked
· Parasitic draw checked
· Battery test (2 ways)
· Voltage drop on battery cables performed
· Ground cables checked
· All connections cleaned
· Potential fuse panel problem checked
Please note that the ignition switch was replaced within last several years.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Sounds like the diodes or the voltage regulator - they're both susceptible to fail with heat/change in temperature. But, it could also be a bad ground. Make sure you check 'em - there's a bunch of ground wires on the back side of the battery.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
I had a similar problem on my Aero. I had battery problems (car occasionally wouldn't start) and the car would cut out momentarily like this with the whole electrical system apparently dying briefly. The battery tested fine on one occasion but a second test (by a Saab dealer) found it to be faulty. A new battery cured the problems.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.