Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Am planning to underseal my c900. Any recommendations? Have limited facilities/ space, so may need to brush on, rather than spray

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Get everything thoroughly clean beforehand and get the car up on 4 axle stands, remove the wheels for ease of access and wrap up the brakes in plastic to stop any Waxoyl / underseal getting on them. Any wheelarch liners should be removed as well so you can get to those parts normally hidden. Essentially strip out or mask all trim etc in areas you need to treat as Waxoyl / underseal makes a mess and is difficult to clean off fabrics etc.

Be methodical and do the car in sections, Waxoyl used to have kits with extension tubes for spraying into sills etc, and if using Waxoyl then have a bucket of hot water handy as it is difficult to spray or apply if it is cold so putting the container in a bucket of hot water helps to keep it less viscous. and makes application much easier.

Have plenty of cloths with some white spirit available to wipe off from bodywork etc and just make sure the area is well ventilated and of course ,no smoking :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Blimey, Waxoyl!! Didn't know they still made it.

As DSM says, make sure everywhere's really, really clean - no clag or mud whatsover under the arches, brake lines, suspension mounting points, etc, etc, etc. Depending on ambient temperature, yopu need to adjust the amount of thinning needed (white spirit again) to keep it flowing through the applicator tube and gun. Lots of experimentation as you go. Also you need lots of old cardboard onder the motor to catch all the surplus that runs out of drain holes etc - not just the obvious places. Otherwise it goes all over the garage floor/driveway/you/wherever. Worth doing on an older motor, but, as said, it must be CLEAN and if there's any tin worm it won't cure or stop it, the damage is already done.

Probably the messiest job there is. Enjoy!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all. Have found someone local to me who will waxoyl my car for £140. Think I'll leave it to the professionals!!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Good plan

It woul have cost you at least £50 for your materials and at the moment it is still cold and on top of that is a very unpleasant job.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts