Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Welcome to tne BB Jon, and many happy years Saabing..!
Supplimentary info:

Haynes Manual (1985 - 95) lists 160 to 175BHp (255 to 270Nm torque) for the B202 Turbo engine.

A 1987 to 1993 Saab Model Range (UK) brochure defines the 2L Turbo engine to be 165BHP, although a 185BHP version was produced for some markets (e.g. Italy) using exactly the same engine.

Max torque is reached at aprox 3,000 rpm on your engine, but around 2,200 on the newer variants post 1993.

2L Turbos can be chipped, tuned (via boost valves/Dawes Devices, etc, etc .. see all the stuff on this BB) to give in excess of 200BHP, if you choose to do so, bearing in mind the stresses on an older engine, etc.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
The most powerful 2.0 9000 Turbo I know of is a 273BHP monster in the Reading area. Early 2.0 Turbos were Full Pressure Turbo's, with the all of CS 2.0 Turbo models being LPT's. (The 2.3 came in LPT and FPT).

As Paul D said, they are pretty easy to get more power out of, bearing in mind the extra stress and the fact that it is FWD!

Kevin Mc
1991 9000 Carlsson 2.3T 220BHP

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
First time I read this I thought you wanted to know the original output figures. If you want to upgrade things then 240-250 bhp should be possible depending on depth of pocket!

Somewhere along the line you might want to upgrade the brakes and suspension to cope with all that through the front wheels tho'...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the welcome everyone, you all seem very friendly.

If I'm not mistaken most of you are located in England, the difference is I am in the US. I dont know what the differences could be.

When you are refering to the power you're saying "bhp" what is the "b" standing for? I am not mechanic or engineer or cars. But i sure do love my saab

I have a few questions for you guys.

For some time when driving my saab when I accelerate (pretty heavily) I would hear the turbo make a hissing sound from, in my case, the left (drivers) side of the car. Is this normal?
- Just recently I noticed its backwards now. I only hear the hiss when I'm not accelerating, and when I do the sound is gone.

After several minutes of letting the car warm up the engine will run at a good solid 800 (or so) RPM's but before it actually warms up the car will nearly die if I dont tap the gass. Any clues to what this could be? Also after the car has warmed up and I begin to drive, the power steering seems to give out for a little but after turning a little its fine.

When the car is warm and idling, if the steering wheel is turned the RPM's drop significantly, and they even drop a little when the window hits its climax (when rolling it up or down).

Sorry for it being so long!

Thanks again!
Jon

·
Registered
403 Posts
Hi GREY869000T,

Sounds like it could be your dump valve is leaking (blow off valve in the US) or a possible vacume leak somewhere.

The BOV is the most likely cause as when it leaks it tends to make the idle irratic.

If your thinking of upping the power I would recomend getting a performance one (not the black bosch unit)

BHP = Break horse power

Does your power steering pump make any nasty noises? Could be on it's way out.
Check to see that the belt is not slipping.

The revs dropping when you turn the wheel or lower / raise windows is fairly normal - the power steering pump is a big load on the engine, and so is the alternator when at low RPM, this could be made worse by the fact that the idle is not as it should be because of the BOV.

You may fine that when you sort out the first problem the rest will fall into place!

Hope that helped.

Damo

·
Registered
188 Posts
Originally posted by GREY869000T:
[qb]Thanks for the welcome everyone, you all seem very friendly.

If I'm not mistaken most of you are located in England, the difference is I am in the US. I dont know what the differences could be.

When you are refering to the power you're saying "bhp" what is the "b" standing for? I am not mechanic or engineer or cars. But i sure do love my saab      

I have a few questions for you guys.

For some time when driving my saab when I accelerate (pretty heavily) I would hear the turbo make a hissing sound from, in my case, the left (drivers) side of the car. Is this normal?
- Just recently I noticed its backwards now. I only hear the hiss when I'm not accelerating, and when I do the sound is gone.

After several minutes of letting the car warm up the engine will run at a good solid 800 (or so) RPM's but before it actually warms up the car will nearly die if I dont tap the gass. Any clues to what this could be? Also after the car has warmed up and I begin to drive, the power steering seems to give out for a little but after turning a little its fine.      

When the car is warm and idling, if the steering wheel is turned the RPM's drop significantly, and they even drop a little when the window hits its climax (when rolling it up or down).

Sorry for it being so long!

Thanks again!
Jon[/qb][/b]
Jon CHECK YOUR PM'S!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Damo,
What does the BOV do? Do you think this has to do with the hissing that has to do with the turbo?

For the first step to bring up the preformance of this car what should my first step be? (mainly to increase BHP)

Would you suggest I bring it to the local saab mechanic (Saabs are all he works on) or should I learn to do this myself?

Thanks,
Jon

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just got off the phone with my brother who is a mechanic. I told him about the BOV and he suggested that I find out whether the BOV blows out into the air or into a cannister.... Any ideas? Any suggestions where I can get a high preformance BOV from somewhere local to the US? Or at least online?

Thanks

Will this do?
Type H

Type S

1 - 11 of 11 Posts