Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my car towed by recovery due to warning message on dash saying *Limited performance* there was no management or warning light on the dash. Recovery firm didnt have the software to read the ECU. The engine dropped power and at the front of the engine on idle and acceleration there is a click every thirty seconds or so ...sounds plastic sort of noise not like a metallic noise ...the garage have said its likely the turbo but at a thousand pounds [ uk] its a expensive could be repair . There was no smoke and up to then ok...its got 91000 miles so not to bd for a saab. We no longer have saab dealers here in our area so any help would be great.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
get the EGR valve checked, mine did it also and It wasn't the
turbos

Thanks , the car is in the garage right now with turbo off....they say there is damage/wear to both turbos but they want to get to the bottom of why it failed ...they also dropped the sump and nothing in there to worry about. They are away to remove the injectors etc to look at oil pipes etc , im no mechanic and feel my pockets getting lighter. Would the EGR valve issue not put the managment light on. ?

·
Premium Member
5,133 Posts
one of the reason turbos fail is extended oil changes/wrong oil used or a combination of both..

·
Premium Member
7,086 Posts
unusual for the turbo to fail on TTid especially at 91k unless as aerojon says............only 0w-40 in this engine

swirl flaps occasionally give issues, lower wastegate actuator can stick, boost valves can fail and egr blocking but norm throws a code but not always check out my how to in the how to section

neobrothers £834

·
Registered
21 Posts
Swirl flaps fell off mine ttid 08 103k on clock and stuffed both turbos and 12 valves. Some many pounds later .. head rework, two new turbos, back on the road.
Not the best moment of my motoring carrer ��

·
Premium Member
7,086 Posts
that's why I mentioned them especially given it a plastic clicking rather than metallic maybe signs of sticking

I bet not the best moment or joys of saab motoring !!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi there, yes after my little engine trouble it was decided that the swirl flaps would be blanked off. The type used on mine and recommended was the ones that are glue welded into position. Further more I do believe that the car had to then be plugged in and reprogrammed. I can assure you that this does not cause any issues with performance at all.
It was a disaster kez lol with no previous warning noises other than the sound of a bomb going off under the bonnet.
My advice Raj if in doubt rip them out or you will always be on the look out.......what a poet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.