Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my insurance renewal price £310 Fully comp - On a car that may be just about worth the £400 mark? TPFT - was even more!!!

Anybody got any good ideas of where I can get a cheap policy from?

Its a third car and very lightly used - 5000 miles per year max.

·
Registered
192 Posts
You think thats bad, trying being young and living in a high risk area (we are the not proud residents of the highest amoutn of car thieves per mile and most drugs per person per mile in the UK) for my 25 quid Saab most places want about 6 grand.

try liverpool victoria, do a google search and see what they have to say.

Chris

·
Registered
329 Posts
Hello all, first post here! I'm picking up my new Saab tomorrow evening after work and just sorted out the insurance. Mine is £907 fully comp, that's with Direct Line and is with full 5 yrs NCD. I'm 24, so that insurance isn't bad. The car is a '96 CSE fpt (135 on the clock)... funnily enough I'm paying £600 fully comp to insure my 206 at the moment, which is only a 1.4 (75 very lame french horses under the bonnet). So £907 for 200hp is not bad at all! I'm looking forward to actually being able to overtake lorries again as that has been something I wouldn't consider in the 206, there's just nothing there when you give it some welly :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd love to come to New Zealand - Insurance sounds cheap, country looks good as well.

Back to topic - I've got a price from esure and went with it £236.

Many Thanks to Zeppelin for the info.

CHEERS

Andrew

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by JezF:
[qb]Would be interested to know of good modified vehicle quotes.[/qb][/b]
My Aero is listed with Highway (through Chris Knott) as 275bhp (Maptun's spec. for my ECU, exhaust, etc). Premium is £650. I'm 38 with full no claims and no points. Car is normally garaged in Hemel Hempstead. The '96 Aero's Thatcham 1 security is taken into account.

I found Greenlight and Adrian Flux to be quite expensive when I enquired, but I believe they prefer it if your car has been modified for a year or more. I suppose their reasoning is that you're more likely to have an accident with recent mods. If the car survives a whole year with the mods, you probably have an idea how to drive it properly by then.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by AG:
[qb]Its a third car and very lightly used - 5000 miles per year max. [/qb][/b]
If it's over 10 years old, you might be able to insure it as a "future classic". My 1985 Saab 90 is insured through Norton Insurance as a classic car for £232 fully-comp. It must be garaged overnight (only if it's at your home address, of course) and is limited to 5000 miles per year. I also must have another car for everyday use. No no-claims discount scheme, but if you state your car is only worth £400, then it might cost less.

The premium includes "agreed value" cover so if you can get a valuation (e.g. from the Saab Owner's Club) to say that it's in nice condition and worth more than the usual market value, then that's the value they'll insure it for.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Just got qoutes from Adrian Flux for £575 3rd party & £760 fully comp. That is with declared Abbott suspension and 283bhp. Not bad for 15,000 miles per annum including business and on street parking in Brighton.

Oh, Norwich Union Direct will not touch cars that have modifications to increase the performance. For fully comp, Tesco's quoted £1100, Priviledge £900 & Hill House Hammond £850

·
Registered
253 Posts
I've just put some alloys on and lowered my 9000 by 35mm and they accepted that at only an additional £35. Maybe its because I'm an existing customer, would of thought it would be the same rules for new and existing customers. But who knows with these insurance companies.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts