Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Re: Ugly tank

Hmm, it's no oil painting, but compared to the new Renault Vel Satis, it's a work of art:

And I can tell you, it looks a lot worse on the road. I'd need a paper bag to be seen with it.

PS rearranging "Vel Satis" gives you vilest as... nuff said

·
Registered
4,895 Posts

Yeah, renault seem to have lost some of the styling staff who actually made their cars quite pleasing to the eye. The Vel Satis is a prime example, but am I not alone in thinking that the old Laguna is far better looking than the new one?

·
Registered
4,895 Posts

Originally posted by MikeH:
[qb]I have just had cause to stand beside the new Range Rover,the top of the range job,and is it pig ugly or not?.[/qb][/b]
No I don't like it, but I don't like culture of 4x4's "as a road car" anyway. It's a friggin disgrace.

If I needed an off roader I'd go for a Land Rover defender V8, function over form for me.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts

ut am I not alone in thinking that the old Laguna is far better looking than the new one?  [/b]
I looked at that photo and weondered why you had posted a pic of the rear end of the new Vectra

I have never understood the designers need to contunually revamp car designs. OK Saab chaned the styling on the 9000 but it was pretty minor - it still looked like a 9000.

Steve

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

The Multipla is no doubt ugly but in a quirky way and it has been so since inception,on the other hand the Range Rover used to look OK and was still functional,as for the new one,well I would not fancy driving it at speed on New Zealand's unmetteled roads,it obviosly belongs in Sloane Square.
As for the laguna,Vectra and don't forget the new Primara,they all bought the same computor programme.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts

If you read the article in What Car/Autocar - those lovely 'unbiased' publications that love Ford and BMW - when the Range Rover was introduced they say the design was inspired by some sort of 1960's yacht/boat/barge type thingy.

Looks similar to the old Range Rover to me.

Still - I would rather have a RR 4.4 V8 or a Discovery rather than all the other 'Tonka toys' out there like RAV4, Freeloader, Maverick, Explorer, CRV (or is it HRV (read HRT)) and the X5.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts

My argument with the Range Rover is that it started the whole "offroader as a prestige car" scene back in the late 70's and early 80's. Of all the cars you listed
RAV4, Freeloader, Maverick, Explorer, CRV (or is it HRV (read HRT)) and the X5[/b]
I wonder how many would actually exist now had the Range Rover remained the reserve of well-moneyed land owners and not become a "considerably richer than yeow" badge?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts

Originally posted by Jason (1992 9000CD 2.3T):
[qb]I wonder how many would actually exist now had the Range Rover remained the reserve of well-moneyed land owners and not become a "considerably richer than yeow" badge?   [/qb][/b]
I really don't know the answer to that Jason, but as far as I'm concerned a posh off roader is a bit of an irrelevance

·
Registered
3,172 Posts

Originally posted by welshwizard:
[qb]but as far as I'm concerned a posh off roader is a bit of an irrelevance[/qb][/b]
Yes funny that when I see a posh off roader that may cost what £50-60 thousand pounds? I don't think "rich git" to me it's just another 4x4, funny how a old Ferrari or such like will turn your head more
and they are not so expensive

·
Registered
334 Posts

Don't know why they call them off-roaders, I was behind a Cherokee Jeep on the way home from work last week and we had to go across some of those dreaded road humps . I have found that these particluar humps are best taken at about 25mph, you practically don't feel them , the driver of the Jeep however slowed down to a virtual stop as he/she went over them.

Vince

·
Registered
4,895 Posts

Yes funny that when I see a posh off roader that may cost what £50-60 thousand pounds?[/b]
It doesn't bear thinking about, what £60K would get you. I found these on Autotrader:

1997 PORSCHE 911 (993) CARRERA 2 @ £41,950
2002 TVR TUSCAN 3.6 SPEED SIX @ £40.5K
2001 MASERATI 3200 Manual @ £43K

.. and you'd have enough spare change for a new 9-5.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts

Originally posted by Jason (1992 9000CD 2.3T):
[qb]QUOTE
Yes funny that when I see a posh off roader that may cost what £50-60 thousand pounds?[/b]
It doesn't bear thinking about, what £60K would get you. I found these on Autotrader:

1997 PORSCHE 911 (993) CARRERA 2 @ £41,950
2002 TVR TUSCAN 3.6 SPEED SIX @ £40.5K
2001 MASERATI 3200 Manual @ £43K

.. and you'd have enough spare change for a new 9-5.[/qb][/b][/quote]I have to pass Harrogate Horseless Carriages everyday to get to work, a nice gleaming display of TVRs, the one I'd go for would be the Cerbera 4.2. Wicked Also pass Nidd Vale with their nice selection of 9-5s.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts

Originally posted by Vince:
[qb]the driver of the Jeep however slowed down to a virtual stop as he/she went over them[/qb][/b]
Yes, they do that on my estate too. Even on my Abbott suspension, I drive my 9000 over them at near enough 30mph.

Having been in the New Forest a few times with some friends who live near there, there are obviously some narrow roads there. My friends have converted a Ford Transit to a camper van (handy to stop in the middle of nowhere for a cuppa, and they need lots of room for a German Shepherd the size of a New Forest pony!). Well, of all the vehicles we encounter on these roads in this admittedly wide vehicle (which could easily get stuck in the wet), it is usually the 4x4 drivers who refuse to mount the verge a bit to ease matters.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.