Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Pirelli P6000 are good.
Uniroyal (540? - just been replaced) are always good in the wet, but don't seem to last that long, still they are a bit cheaper.
The latest Avons (whatever they are called) seem to make the steering light and don't inspire confidence.
Shop around as prices can vary a lot

·
Registered
63 Posts
FWIW here are my thought on new shoes for a performance car. Admitedly I have no knowledge of the tyre sizes fitted to the 2.3 litre either so what I'm about to offer could be irrelevant.

With the wet weather just around the corner I would heartily recommend Bridgestone S03 Pole Positions. These tyres are excellent tyres & the grip in the wet is quite a revelation.

Not sure where you are Gav but to give you an idea of prices I can get a pair of these in 225/50/15 with the Z rating for the MR2 for less than £90 each inclusive of valves & balancing.

They are a very soft tyre & so depending on your driving style will probable only give around 6,000 miles life if you drive hard. However. Bare in mind that it is your tyres that connect you to the road. I think you'll agree that they are quite important parts then of any vehicle.

Try them... You'll never buy pirelli again. I swear.

Mal.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Gav,
I'm sure Mal offers good advice, but i would be worried about buying very soft tyres for a 9000 as they are relatively big and heavy and i would imagine if you go quickly you will be making lots of trips to see the tyre man.
The reason i would go for the P6000 is that it seems a good compromise between grip,life and cost.
I have also heard from my Subaru driving friends that Falken are worth a look if you want grip and low cost, but they don't last very long.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I have recently fitted Goodyear Eagles on my 2.3 as I had a good deal on 4 tyre on my 9000s,a bit noisey but good wet and dry grip and so far appear to be wearing well on both cars,I did have a pair of Pirelli's on mine when I bought it and the damn things would not wear out.
Tyre Sales offer a price match sceme,it may cost a morning on the phone,but phone around including the one man band tyre fitters,when you find the cheapest quote go back to tyre sales ,they will beat it even if only by a couple of quid.The most I have payed for a Goodyear Eagle for the 2.3 is £65 fitted ,balanced ,new valve and vat included.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have just changed from Goodyear Eagle Ventura's to Michelin Pilot's. The transformation is amazing both in wet grip and steering feel.
My experience is that they last very well also (outweighing the price difference).

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Roger that, I bought my car with Pilots all round in 1999. Tyres has been fitted in mid 1999. I still have 2 left, tranferred from front to back. I was running PZero assimetrics on the front and tbh they sucked and have been transferred to the back until the Pilots need replacing.

I'd say I've probably got another 6 months left in the Pilots (approx 30K miles). I WILL be buying a full set of Pilots next time round.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Hi, I am in the motor trade and I can confirm that the best tyres for grip in the wet or dry are Michelins. They also last far longer than most others, they can be pricey but they are well worth it. Try pressing on one in a puddle of water and you cannot make it slip.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I'm astonished at people paying £100 or more for ONE tyre! In 1998 I put FOUR new tyres on a 2 year old Merc. C class for £127 inc VAT. They wore out in about 16000 miles as against 30,000. But we all like to change our tyres from time to time, don't we? Who hasn't changed tyres before really necessary. Just selelct retreads / remoulds with care - British are best!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Retreads etc should be delegated to the past. Despite all the gaurantees, retreads have tread compounds that cannot compare to the original tyre in terms of wear resistance, adhesion, water dispersion, road noise and integrity of bond between casing and tread. The casing has a limited life, particularly if steel belted, and you have no gaurantee that the previous owners have maintained a rotational direction (ie left or right side of car). They don't have the same speed rating either, which seems foolish on a car that may easily exceed 200km/h. The initial capital outlay of retreads may be less, but they don't last, and end up costing you more.

Finally, the ONLY contact between your 1.5 tonne SAAB and mother earth is hopefully through 4 tyres. You may never know how good (or bad) your tyres are, until you're in a fix.

Advice handed down from over the years is as relevant as ever. Make sure they're of good quality, good tread, correct speed rating, kept appropriately inflated, balanced and on properly aligned axles. To compromise on tyres or brakes on these big machines is, in my opinion, simply foolhardy. This may sound harsh, but if you are not prepared to pay for the rubber, you should perhaps choose a light Japanese model that runs more economical tyres. The above advice still holds, though!

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Could'nt agree more with the above comments, never ever compromise on tyres or brakes ... full stop, end off lesson.

Incidentley, I've just replaced my Pilots on the front of mine with Continental ContiSport's...price £165 pair fitted. I agree with the wear rate on the Michelins, they seemed to be going on forever, and I only replaced because of a bulged sidewall after an arguement with a briken curb stone. I didn't like the Continentals for the first few weeks, as they seem to make the steering feel too light and skitish when on motorways, but now they are scuffed down a bit they seem OK.

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
I have no problems with Pirellis - depends on your driving style I suppose. I have used P4000, P5000 drago amd P6000 - no problems.

Michelin MX Energy tyres were way noisy - never had a Michelin since.

Gislaved are worth noting if you can find them. A Swedish tyre, good value for money - an all round good Swedish tyre.

/john

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
A lot of sese has been written re;Retreads.
Avoid like the plague ,I once had a company Carlton , unbeknownst to me the transport manager had it fitted with "Top" quality retreads.I lost the tread on on one front totally,and the other partially at 80+ mph on the M40 ,and only avoided prosecution by the skin of my teeth,retreads do not or did not carry the same speed rating as new tyres.
Has any one used Vredenstein? difficult to find but the last set I had were brilliant.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts