Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeking suggested tyres for a 9000 with Carlsson alloys. Currently have 205/50/16 tyres which are not giving me the performance I desire.

Looking at 225/60/16 which I have been told will be advantageous as a step up.

What issues are there with gearing and speedo?

To fit on a 9000CS which I believe originally came with 195's on 15" rims.

Advice appreciated.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Zealander,

If these are to go on a CS, then it is possible to fit 225/50*16 which would give the correct rolling radius fot CS's (their 16 size is 205/55*16 noprmally).

This will work without problems as long as you have not lowered the car.

If the car is lowered the 225/50*16 and the rear may cause some rubbing.

Andrew

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
225/60/16 will have a very tall sidewall and will almost certainly rub badly, even with standard CS suspension. If you want a 225 tyre, go for the 50-profile tyres Andrew recommends.

What performance is it you desire? For best cornering performance, match the tyre width to the wheel width to keep the tyrewall vertical. 205 is about right on a 16" 9000 alloy wheel. 225 is a bit wide and the sidewall will not be vertical.

However, if you're looking for straight-line traction, you'll probably be better off with the 225s. These will also soften the ride, as the tyrewall will be more flexible.

Originally posted by Zealander:
[qb]What issues are there with gearing and speedo?[/qb][/b]
This little tool will tell you what will happen with the speedo reading. The standard size on 16", as Andrew says, is 205/55/16. Standard fitment on your car was 195/65/15. These two tyres have almost exactly the same outside diameter. According to the tool, your current tyres will cause the speedo to read 3.6% fast.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by BillJ:
[qb]225/60/16 will have a very tall sidewall and will almost certainly rub badly, even with standard CS suspension. If you want a 225 tyre, go for the 50-profile tyres Andrew recommends.

>>Great advice thanks.
The next question would be what brand variant?
I've looked at Goodyear, but Pirelli in a V rating would be my first option. Dunlop are the best quotes I have got...well excluding Federal whcih I have been warned against.

::

What performance is it you desire? For best cornering performance, match the tyre width to the wheel width to keep the tyrewall vertical. 205 is about right on a 16" 9000 alloy wheel. 225 is a bit wide and the sidewall will not be vertical.

However, if you're looking for straight-line traction, you'll probably be better off with the 225s. These will also soften the ride, as the tyrewall will be more flexible.

>>Currently my car has Sava 205/50/16 which are been worn down very quickly through a combination of sharp town driving and the odd 1000km weekend I have in the winding backcountry. And being like most Saab drivers when you get a few hundred kms where you barely seen anyone, when the road is well maintained and the weather right...hammer and tongs might be the words to describe the ride! This is when the 9000 really feels good in my opinion.

Originally posted by Zealander:
[qb]What issues are there with gearing and speedo?[/qb][/b]
This little tool will tell you what will happen with the speedo reading. The standard size on 16", as Andrew says, is 205/55/16. Standard fitment on your car was 195/65/15. These two tyres have almost exactly the same outside diameter. According to the tool, your current tyres will cause the speedo to read 3.6% fast. [/qb][/b][/quote]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.