Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My CSE needs some tyres and I suddenly realise that while I'm quite familiar with the performance tyre options on offer, I hardly know where to start for a quiet, comfortable tyre for my long-distance cruiser.

The size is 195/65/15.

The biggest considerations are comfort and lack of noise. The car is used fairly infrequently and mostly in straight lines, so treadwear isn't a problem. Ultimate grip is not the priority (some grip is obviously necessary!), although decent wet-weather performance would be desirable.

Finally, not a priority either, but slightly better than zero grip in snow would be a bonus (not winter or all-season, but not totally useless in snow like some performance tyres I've used).

And £50 a tyre (or less) wouldn't be a bad price, but with some recommendations for tyres, I'll shop around for the price.

I've checked mytyres.net, but their reviews appear subjective because they come from readers. i.e. some fairly low-priced tyres get top marks for tyre noise, but is that because those customers have never bought an expensive tyre and don't know how quiet they can be?

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Bill,

A quick search with US- based Tirerack came up with the following suggestion: Goodyear Aquatred 3. I dunno if they're available in the UK tho'.

Here's the link- the good thing is they rate (apparently objectively) all tyres according to traction on different surfaces, noise, handling, wear etc

Tirerack

You can go back to the homepage and start your own search, customising your parameters as you go.

Mark

·
Registered
97 Posts
BillJ,

I have only tried a couple of makes of tyres, the Pirelli P6000 and Continental EcoContact tyres.

In terms of wear I was disappointed in how long the P6000's lasted. However my usual commute is across Snake Pass in Derbyshire which is very twisty, hilly, and notorious in bad weather - it is usually the first road to be affected by snow. However I have no complaints about the performance of the P6000's in bad weather including snow.

I have only had the Continental tyres for about a month so I can't comment too much about their bad weather performance yet. Give me a couple of months of that score.

Price wise my local garage is able to do either tyre for about £53 each including all fitting and balancing etc, which is much cheaper than some of the big chains offer.

I am not sure about road noise, I haven't really paid much attention to it to notice any difference.

Hope this is some help

Gordon

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Steer clear of Michelin MX Energy (if they still make them?). They have the traction and wear properties of bakerlite!
Very noisy!

Pirellis do seem to wear quickly - or maybe that's a result of the gf's driving style?

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
I read a big tyre reveiw recently but as you all know my memory is rubbish and I can't remember where I read it But I do remember the results the winner was the Goodyear F1 and they basically made it out to be the best thing since sliced bread
If I can find the review I will post it for you.

·
Registered
600 Posts
As a good compromise I like P6000's, good grip in wet & dry, not too noisy, wear OK - 12,000m fronts on my AERO.

Toyo - I think they will wear very quickly, had some on my AERO when I bought it and was'nt that impressed but then again they were well worn.
Bridgestone 03's - pricey as they are probably the ones to have
Michelin energy - my wifes CSE has them, they do last for ages (and ages 25,000m+ ??) and seem Ok for grip if you dont "go for it".

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Oh, Bill, one thing I forgot... many of the tyres with outstanding wet performance are absoloute dogs in snow (and mud for when you go off roading ). In general they are the ones that have straight/curved channels running at angles circa 60-45 90 degrees out from the centre eg Dunlop Sport 9000. Being designed to slice through water and channel it away with minimum resistance, the channels just get clogged with snow, meaning it's as bad as being on slicks! For snow traction, look for a tyre that has a pronounced groove pattern across it's width- a bit like the opposite of the wear indicator in fact!!

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, chaps.

TireRack - why didn't I think of that?

Eagle F1, unfortunately, aren't made in that size, and I don't want to change sizes.

I have the S-03s on the Aero and they're brilliant, but again, they don't come in that size.

Aquatread 3, if they are available in the UK, are an All Season tyre, which I was hoping to avoid - I think that's all hope of any grip in snow out the window, but I have snow chains. I've been caught out with heavy snowfalls on the trip back home after a few Christmases now.

Looks like P6000 are worth a look, along with EcoContact. I've used both in low-profile form, but have no idea how the 65-profile variants will feel.

I'll also try to find out more about the Toyos.

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
Been looking for tyres recently. Northway Tyres in Watford and St Albans are doing introductory offers on the new Dunlop Sport01. Which is supposed to be the quietest tyre around. They offer the 195/65 VR15 at £44.90. details here

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, sgould. That looks like a goer, since they're just down the road (both branches) and I used to get Yokohamas there for the Aero.
A colleague from Watford swears by them. I think I'll give them a ring.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Originally posted by Bubbles (fka Mark E):
[qb]Oh, Bill, one thing I forgot... many of the tyres with outstanding wet performance are absoloute dogs in snow (and mud for when you go off roading             ). In general they are the ones that have straight/curved channels running at angles circa 60-45 90 degrees out from the centre eg Dunlop Sport 9000. Being designed to slice through water and channel it away with minimum resistance, the channels just get clogged with snow, meaning it's as bad as being on slicks! For snow traction, look for a tyre that has a pronounced groove pattern across it's width- a bit like the opposite of the wear indicator in fact!![/qb][/b]
Yeah, christ I almost buried my Carly in a welsh campsite last February. I had Michellin Pilot Sports on the front, they just wouldn't bite into the soft wet grass at all. Of course this situation is not normal driving for anyone who is town based, i.e. I probably only have to do it maybe twice a year. Still, hatched patterned tyres do seem to cope better in these situations.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oops, almost forgot, gordoncooper: I was along Snake Pass on Saturday, so I know what you're talking about. I was also persuaded to take my Aero up Winnats pass and managed to cause a bit of a stir. Apparently, it's somewhat unusual to get up to 70mph up there with four people in the car in the pouring rain. I'm told some cars can hardly make it at all...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Winnats pass, that brings back some good memories...
Can't say I've done 70mph up it, but then I hadn't discovered Saabs when I lived up there. I did, however, do over 60mph down it on a bicycle

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
OK shoot me down in flames - I'm no racing driver and could never really tell the difference from one tire to the next. I've had 50 series 16 inch P6000 on a Carlsson and EcoContact. On the current 2.3T I've got 50 series 16 inch BF Goodridge and on the other 2.3T I've had 15 inch 60 series Avon ZV-1s and £33/tyre Hankooks. Guess what those Hankooks are as good as the others but then I never really find the limit other than via the front wheels and by far the worse is the Avons. The Hankooks I'll be having again. Would be interested in trying someones car with 'performance tyres fitted just to see if there is a big difference. Oh also had Gislaved on the 900 and those cheap Hankooks and the Avons, again Avons bad in the wet, could not tell any difference between the Hankook and the Gislaved.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hi Bill

I have had Gislaved tyres on our '97 900 2.0i for a while now and they are really good for the money. Good grip in the dry, fine in the wet and snow and not too noisy. Best bit is they were only £100 for 2 as 185/65 R15 (Made in Sweden as well if that is important!!!)

Liam

P.S. Incidentally the Gislaved replaced the godawful [expletive deleted] tyres fitted by the Saab main dealer to our car just before we bought it, they lasted 6 months at most

·
Registered
945 Posts
Just purchased 2 Pirelli P6000 on the 195/65/15 VR variation and so far in the short time I've had them I'm impressed. They cost £58 a tyre fully inclusive which is £4 more than the Goodyear ventura would have cost, but I like the feel of them so far. The Goodyear NCT3's I had on there before had punctured hence the change. Oh and if you shop around and ask the bloke on the phone or the supervisor at the tyre place he'll have some NCT3's or some Dunlop SP200's in his stock and they could be as cheap as £40 a tyre becuase they are as old as the hills.....but still a good mid range tyre on a bit of a budget. Oh and what someone said earlier about Hankook's is true. I had them on an old 9K of mine....and I was highly impressed.....£34 a tyre too!!!!

·
Registered
113 Posts
I bought a pair of <macho voice> Firestone Firehawks </macho voice> for my 9000 and they seem fine. They've done about 15k now and are probably good for another 3k ish. They are quieter than the Conti EcoContacts I had when I bought the car.

However I got them from the AA who did a price match with Micheldever Tyres, and then came and fitted them at my work. For £55 a tyre. Not too bad really.....

Cheers
John P

·
Super Moderator
2,709 Posts
Bill,
For cheapness it would be hard to beat Kuomo from EuroCarParts at about £32 if you can get them fitted yourself. I have them on the back and they are very quiet. They also do Yokohamas, Falkens and Pirellis though I don't see 195/65 quoted in my 2000 catalogue. Hancook were pretty reasonable all round at about £50 each but for winter wear you can't beat a good M + S. I use Vredestein on the front. They are great in heavy rain, quiet, and get me up the mile or so hill to the house in all but drifted snow. See the tyre discussion about a month ago. Some kind soul posted a link to the Vredestein site. Incidently I stick with 195/65 - 15 for the M = S but go to 205/60 - 15 for all the others. They kept up with an Alfa twin spark up Winnets two weekends ago. Quite a nice little chase.

[email protected]

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
OK time to show my ignorance but what does the M + S stand for in terms of winter tyre spec? I'm getting some Gislaved winter tyres this weekend ready for the snow - wife has to drive to see horse everyday its down a little road that never gets gritted so this year I'll be putting some winter tyres on her car.

Yep - horse is better looked after than me but hey at least I get no complaints about the 4 Saabs I have

1 - 20 of 29 Posts