Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
It also depends on your priorities: wet/dry performance, cost, longevity, quietness/comfort, even snow grip for the odd time like we've had recently.

Give us an idea of your priorities and the tyre size and I'm sure you'll get more recommendations than you can handle.

·
Registered
128 Posts
My five eggs...

I asked the same question and got a whole bunch of replies about which tyre was best for what ... Eventually I ditched the Michelin Pilot Exaltos (just about scrubbed out anyway) in favour of a set of Bridgestone RE71's ... so far they seem like a great all round cover, all the vagueness and 'wavy steering' under acceleration has disappeared, and they're quiet too..!!

The pair on the front were a few bob less than £150 from Micheldever tyres... Oddly, if I'd gone for V rated instead of Z rated RE71's (as was their first suggestion)I'd have paid a shade over a ton for the pair... do we *really* need Z rated tyres here in the UK ?? I'd certainly consider them when the rears need replacing..

Greg

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
It will be interesting to see what replies you get. I just noticed (washing the car) that 3 out of 4 of my P6000s are pretty shot...mind you the back ones were on it when I got it and I've done about 11K on them.

Steve

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Originally posted by Gregorius:
[qb]The pair on the front were a few bob less than £150 from Micheldever tyres...
[/qb][/b]
I've just (about 1000 miles ago) put 4 Goodyear NCT5 tyres on my 15" Anniversary wheels, and paid about £54 each (from Newbury Tyre and Exhaust).

So far, I'm very pleased with them. Much quieter than the Gislaveds they replaced.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by PHudson:
[qb]I've just (about 1000 miles ago) put 4 Goodyear NCT5 tyres on my 15" Anniversary wheels, and paid about £54 each (from Newbury Tyre and Exhaust).

So far, I'm very pleased with them. Much quieter than the Gislaveds they replaced. [/qb][/b]
I replaced NCT 5s on my CSE with Dunlop SP Sport 01. They seem to perform better and are exceedingly quiet. They are advertised as being very quiet. Wear is not bad, even though I've taken them on the track.

Interesting about the Gislaveds. I'm having some fitted to my new (standard) 16" Aero wheels. The S-03s will stay on the 17" wheels for dry track days until they're beyond illegal.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Originally posted by BillJ:
I replaced NCT 5s on my CSE with Dunlop SP Sport 01. They seem to perform better and are exceedingly quiet. They are advertised as being very quiet. Wear is not bad, even though I've taken them on the track.
[/QB][/b]
What did you think of the NCTs? I would have liked sp01s but noone nearby had them in stock, and my old tyres were pretty much shot. How much did you pay for them?

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by PHudson:
[qb]What did you think of the NCTs? I would have liked sp01s but noone nearby had them in stock, and my old tyres were pretty much shot. How much did you pay for them? [/qb][/b]
The NCTs were a bit noisy and the grip wasn't brilliant. They were reasonably well worn when I bought the car, though. It was Sgould who put me onto the SP Sport 01s at Northway Tyres in Watford. I seem to remember they were about £52 each all-inclusive. If you're prepared to go down to the more popular 195/50/15, they're really cheap.

·
Registered
179 Posts
On the V versus Z issue, I think you will find that Z rated tyres are apecified in the handbook and you will be in breach of your insurance if you do not fit the same rating of tyre. Besides that, although you may be saying "but I don't drive that fast" the higher rated tyres have stiffer side walls which may affect general handling.

I used NCT's (2 - 5) on my 2.3 T's for years (~300K miles) but I thought the NCT 5 was significantly poorer handling than the others. I switched to Goodyear F1's about 6 months ago and I am happy so far - not least as the 16" Z's were got for £82. I don't do track days, I just like brisk motoring and to stay on the road in the wet

·
Registered
393 Posts
I was going to mention the insurance issue, but have been beaten to it.

I recently put Dunlop Sport 9000s (205/55 Z16)on my car, and I think they're much better than the Gislaved/Uniroyal mix they replaced. Better ride, better grip, and quieter.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
just checked...

Wheels are 16 inch.

It has got 4 different tyres : Euromaster, Champiro, Uniroyal and Dunlop. Three are 205/55/zr16, one is 205/55/r16 91v.

All of them have a few mm left but I think I should change them all for the same type and rating.
I would put good wet/dry performance top of the list.

·
Registered
477 Posts
You don't have to put Z rated tyres back on your car if you don't want to, even if that was the standard equipment. I checked with my insurance company and the local traffic police a while back, and they both said that your tyres only need to be rated up to the British speed limit i.e. 70 mph. Of course, it all depends on how you drive your car - whether you stick to the speed limit, whether you go to track days or whether you drive on the continent. In theory you could quite legally drive around on H rated tyres.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by happypig:
[qb]I would put good wet/dry performance top of the list. [/qb][/b]
Bridgestone S-03s are very highly regarded for wet and dry performance on the 9000. I use them myself for this reason and in my opinion they are excellent performers. I've used many other performance tyres and the S-03s are the best I've found. Tyre wear is a lot better than the S-02 they replaced.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Abbot Racing recommend the Bridgestone S-03 and the Michelin Pilot Sport. BillJ raves about the S-03. On the odd occassion when I'm raving, it tends to be about the Pilot Sport. Take your pick.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
I've got to put new tyres on the Aero in the next week or so, fancy trying the Dunlop SP-Sport 01 to replace my Continental SportContact's, as I haven't been that impressed with Conti's.
Dunlop's are £18 a tyre more expensive at £88 each fitted.....
I'll have to see what price SO-3's are..?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.