Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I managed to damage one of my front tyres on "something" in the gutter this morning. There is a lovely 2" bulge in the sidewall now.

Do you think it would be OK to replace it with a 40% worn old pattern P6000 i've got in the garage. This would mean the other front wheel would have a new pattern P6000 on it although both tyres would be the same depth.

The other option is to buy 2 new front tyres, what do you think about different brand tyres on the front to the rear ?.

I know it might look like I'm being a bit tight but I'm getting fed up with buying new tyres, I've had at least 4 new tyres this year on mine and wife's cars due to cr4p on the road.

Cheers

·
Registered
152 Posts
It would be better to get a matching pair. Having said that I have had mixed pairs in the past when money was tight.
There is no problem with different pairs front and back. The best way to fit them is to put the new pair on the rear for a few thousand miles until the rubber has settled, then switch the newer tyres to the front. They will last longer if you do this, and new front, worn back can be quite a nasty combination on the limit, particularly in the wet.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Different tyres on the front nearside and offside can lead to unpredictable handling; the rear is less of a problem so I'd swap both your rears to the front and put the unmatched pair on the back.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Sorry to throw a spanner in, but there are two different P6000s with different handling characteristics.
From my own experience, the "classic" P6000 has firmer sidewalls but the newer P6000 Powergy feels a lot softer.
The Powergy is cheaper and I noticed when I rang round that if I just asked for a P6000, they would quote me the Powergy price.
I would not recommend fitting a P6000 and a P6000 Powergy on the same axle, even on the rear.
I notice, incidentally, that the Pirelli website doesnt class the P6000 as a high performance tyre any more. Presumably trying to sell more expensive ones.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.