Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to unfortunate circumstances (job loss), I had to part with my BMW X5 4.8is :( . If any of you have had the honor of driving one of those, you know what I'm talking about. Anyway, I was in the market for another SUV. Because of the performance of my X5 I knew I wouldn't find anything else like it, for the price I could pay. After weeks of looking, I finally settled on a gray 2006 5.3i. Just picked it up yesterday. 158k miles (yes I know it's a lot), but I paid $5k out the door. As this is my 18th vehicle, I figured it was worth it. Here are the things that I know need to be done.

manifold exhaust leak
bubbling rust spot on the hood
headlight glass needs a good polishing
Interior needs to be shampooed and cleaned
top of rear passenger leather has a nick in it
may need tires
wheel alignment

That's it. The engine is strong. Trans shifts solidly. Suspension, I'm not sure yet. Because I was used to the sports car like handling of my X5, I may be expecting too much of this suspension. It's more "plush". Not as rigid, so it could be completely normal. However, I do plan to get some more shocks on her just to make sure. I was also thinking of going with a different tire/wheel package.

So to end my introduction because I can get long-winded, here are some questions I have.

Has anyone gone with a more aggressive suspension (shocks, bigger tire/wheels)? I don't want the put big ugly 26" wheels on it. I'm more performance minded. So 20s should likely work best. I also like wide tires (315/35 rear, 275/40 front on the X5). So what are some of the combos others have gone with?

I want to run my DRLs, but I noticed that the lens covers for the yellow turn signal are literally burnt and cracked. I'm somewhat of a perfectionist so I may be replacing both head lamp assemblies. However, I've looked and have yet to find an LED option for the 5702 bulbs. My fear of course if buying new assemblies and the regular bulbs start burning and cracking the lens covers again.

The only other few things I'd like to do are:

Tint front side windows
Remote starter
replace head unit with Pioneer DA-100 (add rear tv in headrest for the kid)
Freshen up the paint job where it's chipped or scratched

Other than that, she's in good shape. Oh, I'll be doing all of the fluid changes and spark plug and wires to make sure she stays on the road...LOL.

Thanks guys. I'm sure you'll be a great resource.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Hi and welcome.

You mention nothing of a service history? £2,500 for a 06' 158k mileage 9-3 sounds pricey, especially with those known faults, would have thought more around the £1,500 mark or $3,000 in your terms.

You cannot put 26" wheels on it, 1 it would look ridiculous and 2 you only have a certain amount of space between wheel arch and tyres anyway.

Suspension in Aero models will be stiffer and more of a rugged ride than Linear / Vector etc as it is Sports suspension.

You should try to avoid comparing the X5 with the 9-3, two completely different style cars, one is a large fuel guzzling 4x4 style car whilst the other is a nimbled streamlined saloon.

Regards,

Liam.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi and welcome.

You mention nothing of a service history? £2,500 for a 06' 158k mileage 9-3 sounds pricey, especially with those known faults, would have thought more around the £1,500 mark or $3,000 in your terms.

You cannot put 26" wheels on it, 1 it would look ridiculous and 2 you only have a certain amount of space between wheel arch and tyres anyway.

Suspension in Aero models will be stiffer and more of a rugged ride than Linear / Vector etc as it is Sports suspension.

You should try to avoid comparing the X5 with the 9-3, two completely different style cars, one is a large fuel guzzling 4x4 style car whilst the other is a nimbled streamlined saloon.

Regards,

Liam.
Don't think it's a 9-3 mate, I have a feeling it's a 9-7 http://www.moibibiki.com/Saab 9-7X.html

And welcome to one of our American cousins

·
Registered
406 Posts
haha my bad, I came in to this thread via 'home' not the sub-category of 9-7x....

Buy a 9-3 mate, much better!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts