Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my recent visit to Stockholm, I got to meet some very nice people in the Saab Turbo Club/Sweden, who allowed me to take some pictures of their modified 9000's. The engine with the stock cam covers is very interesting. It uses a TD06-24 turbo that was originally used on GM Cyclones, IIRC. The fellow who owns it gave me a ride that I will always remember. We managed to find a long straight section of highway, just outside of Stockholm in a place called Kista (pronounced cheestah). It took only a handful of seconds to go from 70 to 155 mph. It was dynoed at 450 hp and managed over 480 hp using some high octane race gas. Fredrik, from MapTun did the tuning for this vehicle. In fact, most of the Swedish members use MapTun and some tuners, which seem to get all the recognition in the US, get little or no recognition in Sweden. This is anecdotal, but I was told that there are some 'tuners' who actually use MapTun lower stage software and simply raise the boost limit.

The engine with the polished cam cover and DI is Fredriks, who I had the pleasure to meet while getting the software sorted for my 9000. I'm not an automotive engineer (my background is applied mathematics), but I'm pretty intuitive at recognizing people who are knowledgeable in their field - Fredrik is definitely very knowledgeable with Saabs and as he also consults for a major telecommunications firm, knows a bit about programming, too.

Lastly, I want to apologize to a few Saabscene members who I was unable to meet on this trip. Besides driving from London to Stockholm, I also managed to get to northern Italy, the south of France and all the various countries in between. I simply ran out of time and didn't realize how much driving (over 4400 miles) I was going to do.
However, I will return soon and perhaps I'll have a more relaxed pace! By the way, the 2.0 litre, '97 9000 I used managed to return 34.5 mpg on the trip.

·
Registered
762 Posts
lovely pics

I love the look of those performance exhaust manifolds........
any idea how much they cost/how much extra BHP there worth

Paul

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Paul, I think headers can be had from Speedparts. Well, at least something similar. The headers without the wrapping came from Saab engine labs. Fredrik's, the wrapped ones, also has an external wastegate. The headers are designed not so much for horsepower as for delivering a 'tuned' pulse exhaust note for the turbine. Because the compressors on both vehicles are so huge, the headers' main function is to reduce inertial lag/increase spool-up.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Wow, those are sweet pictures!
Ive never seen a saab with an external dump. Does anyone know if that cyclone turbo will bolt up directly to the stock 2.0l turbo manifold?

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
these exhaust manifolds are rather hard to come by...
but they do have a spool up advantage especially if you make them even length then you get the max phased pulse on the turbo..quicker response quicker spool and less lag..

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Elliot, I could be wrong, but I think it depends on which 2.0 you have: if it's a B204, then it appears to have the same exhaust manifold. I would think that exhaust manifold for the Mitsubishi could be used, as there are some differences between it and the Garrett, IIRC. I wouldn't try building-up an older engine - I think one is better off using the more 'refined', later versions. And the B234 turbo engines are well-known to have very robust internals that can handle the huge pressures those turbines can develop. I'm not sure of the pistons on the 2.0.......maybe someone else can comment?.....

·
Registered
47 Posts
Originally posted by robert lavergne:
[qb]And the B234 turbo engines are well-known to have very robust internals that can handle the huge pressures those turbines can develop.  I'm not sure of the pistons on the 2.0.......maybe someone else can comment?..... [/qb][/b]
That only counts for the b234r, this one has different pistons and a lower compression.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not quitel, mxl. All the B234 turbo engines have the same internals. In other words, even the LPT versions have oil squirters which cool the undersides of the same pistons.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's a filter (I think filters are all that K&N makes) to keep dirt out when the bypass valve is open. Fredrik moved it closer to the throttle body which decreases the response time, I would imagine.

·
Registered
494 Posts
the valve ought to only be open when it is expelling air, correct?

i do not understand what the purpose would be of filtering air on its way out of the intake, whereas you want to filter the air on its way in to protect your engine from debris.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Originally posted by xassh:
[qb]the valve ought to only be open when it is expelling air, correct?

i do not understand what the purpose would be of filtering air on its way out of the intake, whereas you want to filter the air on its way in to protect your engine from debris. [/qb][/b]
Depending on the type of dump valve its possible it could be open at idle speeds due to vacuum acting on the diaphram, in this case unfiltered air would be inducted through the DV. Adding a filter to the DV also helps silence some of the "woosh"

Matt

1 - 14 of 14 Posts