Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks

I am new to this forum and I have a pretty cool (strange, stupid, fancy .....) idea.

Has anybody ever tried to put two stock intercoolers from a '94-'98 Aero in one car? I think this is not a big deal. the only thing that I would have to manufacture is a set of "one in two" tubes for connecting the two Intercoolers. And of course plenty of other small parts!

I am wondering if this could help the charging pressure from dropping around 3500 - 6000 RPM.

Thanks for your answer

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
I suppose so, with the appropriate pipework. You'd want a larger intake pipe so as not to nullify any advantage of having two intercoolers. I'm sure it's been mentioned previously, but to improve intercooling the best mod would be to put the intercooler in front of the radiator, remove the AC and eliminate the need for a condensor rad and improve air flow to both the intercooler and rad.

I'd like to go for an uprated IC once I've uprated the exhaust and airfilter, but the cost of uprated IC's is very high. Probably due to the relatively low demand.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
I believe one of our posters Robert lavergne has done this by doubling up the core and making custom end pieces
cannot remember where I saw this however....
I will do a search and post the link if I find it

the problem with this idea is space is kinda tight in the front especially with the a/c equipment
delete that and you have enough room...

the speedparts/maptun i/c is about 30 % fatter and there is just enough room with all the other stuff as well

·
Registered
778 Posts
Sorry Ylee, that wasn't me - I have a 50 mm Kylar Jonsson. I do remember the thread they're talking about, though - IIRC, people have tried parallel-core installations, here in the 'states, without great results. Splitting the flow area reduces the mixture velocity, which seriously diminishes intercooling effectiveness, at least on engines with small displacement. MacInness's book isn't what I'd call contemporary, but I would think the principles involved are still pertinent. He did note that a fellow named Kinsler used multiple IC's in a series configuration, to good effect.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
robert ...sorry..I was sure that was you..
perhaps it was a us lead thread and I associated it with yourself ...

I will go away and meditate for awhile and try and remember where I saw it ...

I can still see the picture in my head as I thought it was a neat (cheap) way of doing it

(got a spare 9000 i/c in the garage !!)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts