Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hmm my back box seems to be getting louder by the day- small hole i believe is getting larger and larger.

So i emailed Giles and asked if they can do a Carlsson style Twin 2" pipes exhaust that will fit my Anniversary model with different rear valence etc. They can make me a custom one with a little notice.

Thoughts? Pro's + cons? I thought that their 4 inch one that Giles was keen to sell me before looks a little, obvious shall we say .

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by aeropilot:
[qb]Better still get a full JT system + downpipe for a tenner more than price of the Abbott back box.....  
       [/qb][/b]
Nice thought, but i already have the "Abbott performance downpipe" fitted.

Has anyone any decent pics of a Carlsson rear-end /exhaust ?

·
Registered
312 Posts
I guess the question I would have is: Does it really improve performance? or just looks? While I realize looks are important and a dual system done nicely will enhance the beauty of your car; does it make the car go faster?

I guess you can see where my mind is!
Regards,

John

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Originally posted by aeropilot:
[qb]Better still get a full JT system + downpipe for a tenner more than price of the Abbott back box.....  
       [/qb][/b]
True, but will an aluminsed system still be looking and sounding good as new after 5 years/ 80k+ miles? My Abbott backbox is...

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by Mark E:
[qb]True, but will an aluminsed system still be looking and sounding good as new after 5 years/ 80k+ miles? My Abbott backbox is... [/qb][/b]
Ah, but it's in the ear of the beholder as to whether the Abbott back-box sounds good even when new

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by BillJ:
[qb] QUOTE
[qb]True, but will an aluminsed system still be looking and sounding good as new after 5 years/ 80k+ miles? My Abbott backbox is... [/qb][/b]
Ah, but it's in the ear of the beholder as to whether the Abbott back-box sounds good even when new [/qb][/b][/quote]Meaning?

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by TheFox:
[qb]Meaning? [/qb][/b]
Meaning that the Abbott system sounds quite different from the JT system (partly due, I think, to the stainless steel construction rather than the mild steel of the JT) and I personally prefer the sound of the JT. I know Mark prefers the Abbott sound, though, so it's all down to personal taste, really.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cheers for the input as always-not sure what the Abbott sound is like? Deep ? Gruff ? As long as you don't notice it on a long motorway drive I really wouldnt mind what it sounded like.

Great pics of that 99T SCaero - I had same alloys on my first 9000T16 and they were a b*gger to clean.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Originally posted by TheFox:
[qb]Meaning? [/qb][/b]
Bill thinks my full Abbott system is a bit loud- which I agree for some it may be; especially on motorway cruises where it can be intrusive- but that's in it's full straight thru pipe instead of cat guise. When I pop in the cat replacmemnt silencer (or even the cat) it's very much quieter (about the same level as the JT IIRC).

Stainless steel is a) inherently less self damped and B) more rigid than mild steel, so the harmonics generated tend to be a little louder and higher pitched (but not much). Whether you like it or not is down to personal preference.

Bill did admit however (in a weak moment ) to liking the sound of the twin Abbott SS tailpipe on my c900.

As far as the 4" oval looking a bit obvious goes, it depends on which version you go for- the older one (which I have) isn't that obvious IMO when viewed directly from the back. The newer style with rolled edges (as shown on their web page) is more obvious however. The other alternative is to go for the plain 3" round version.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
[qb]Bill did admit however (in a weak moment       ) to liking the sound of the twin Abbott SS tailpipe on my c900.[/qb][/b]
I'll still admit to that. The C900 turbo does sound nice and making it a bit louder does enhance the pleasure.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Saabine is scheduled for custom downpipe fabrication (3" stainless) with elimination of the front silencer in a few weeks. We'll see how the stainless steel downpipe/mild steel 2.5" Simons half system combo works. My guess is that the present (relative) 'mellowness' of the sound - deep but unobtrusive - will get a somewhat harder edge, more TVR AJP8/larger-than-life motorbike. Which would be fine with me as she is that kind of car...

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
With my Saab sport catback exhaust, my car actually got a bit quieter with the addition of a 3" downpipe. It did, however, get louder on high loads, i.e. 4 people in the car while accellerating to autobahn speeds.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Hmm, interesting. Conventional beliefs are that bigger pipe diameters mean more noise, and I was kind of afraid the combination with the removed front silencer would be too much. OTOH, JT offers 3" C900 systems with only the rear (center muffler) so I decided that the 3" front/2.5"rear combo with the one Simons box (which isn't any louder really than a stock Saab silencer, it just sounds deeper) would at least be 'within limits'.

Given the need for as little back pressure as possible, finances and the way the front silencer likes to ground when reversing, bending the OE downpipe in the process, I don't have any other realistic options anyways...

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Talking about exhaust: anyone know how to get the chrome bit clean and sparkling?
Mine is in dire need of some shine. But I don't want to damage the finish by using the wrong cleaning method. Any guidance would be most welcome.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I had the chance to have a play with an Abbott modded (new) 900 last thursday which happened to have their twin 3" backbox installed. Considering the car also had an induction kit fitted, I didin't find to sound to be too intrusive during normal driving, just a deeper rumble really. The finish on the pipes was top notch too.

Originally posted by BillJ:
[qb] QUOTE
[qb]Bill did admit however (in a weak moment        ) to liking the sound of the twin Abbott SS tailpipe on my c900.[/qb][/b]
I'll still admit to that. The C900 turbo does sound nice and making it a bit louder does enhance the pleasure. [/qb][/b][/quote]Actually that's just reminded me of the time I picked up a mate and his grilfriend from Birmingham international late one night in my old T16S.

On the trip up one of the bolts from manifold to downpipe decided to give up the ghost and the others popped in sympathy! The downpipe was still held in place by the bracket so no damage was done, but the car sounded incredible
. When I dropped them off in Bath at 4am, I just couldn't resist winding down the windows, opening the sunroof and having a bit of fun all the way home. Had new bolts fitted the next day, as I have no doubt in the long run it would be blooming annoying , but for those few hours...

Originally posted by StanleyB:
[qb]Talking about exhaust: anyone know how to get the chrome bit clean and sparkling?
Mine is in dire need of some shine. But I don't want to damage the finish by using the wrong cleaning method. Any guidance would be most welcome. [/qb][/b]
Chrome cleaner and a bit of elbow grease usually does the trick for me. To make it easier to clean next time you wash the car I also use Autoglym's extra gloss protection. It even gives a bit more depth to the shine you restored after the chrome cleaner .

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Originally posted by Eric van Spelde:
[qb]Hmm, interesting. Conventional beliefs are that bigger pipe diameters mean more noise[/qb][/b]
Not necessarily... if you consider that enexhaust is a tuned acoustic system on the end on an exciter, rather like a brass instrument, then a larger diameter will acutally lower the system tuning, and as the ear is less sensitive to lower frequencies than higher, it may sound quieter...

When I put the 3" downpipe on my 9000 in place of the Abbott downpipe, I reckon the system got a bit quieter. I think that part of this may have been due to the fact that it's mild rather than stainless steel, so has better self damping.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts