Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
..down it goes. One solitary door lock. Not 4.

This has happened before, the central locking fuse blows and I don't know why.

Sometimes the drivers door lock catches a bit and I wonder if it could jam and prevent the drivers door locking, hence blow the fuse, but I usually use the key on the drivers side so that wouldn't explain 90% of the times.

When I sit inside and press the lock button I hear a buzzing from behind the steering wheel somewhere. What is this?

I already lubricated everything inside the doors and that hasn't worked. Any ideas? What should I tear out first?

Thanks,

Pete

·
Registered
552 Posts
I sympathise, I've just had a similar problem.
I finally found out that it was caused by the internal workings of the central locking motor in the driver's door. They were jamming, and blowing the fuse.
Apart from the fuse, the symptom was that when I turned the key, I could feel something catching - is yours like that?
To check, take off the door trim, unhook the motor from the operating rod and move the motor rod in and out. It should run smoothly and should operate the other doors (you'll need all 4 doors closed, of course.
Failing that, unplug all the c/locking motors (3 doors, boot and fuel filler) and see if that helps. Then recouple one by one to see if any cause problems.
Townsend has a complete checking schedule but his website is down at the moment so I can't link. This will tell you how to check the central control unit under the dash, though, if you can catch the site up.
Replacement motors are less than a tenner each at Maplin, by the way.
Good luck.

·
Registered
552 Posts
For anyone who buys a Maplin 5 wire (driver's door) central locking motor, the wiring is as follows:
Saab wiring harness in door: one double connector with two red wires. Connect to Maplin blue and green. (If you hold the connector with the flat side facing you and the red wires at the top, the green goes bottom left and the blue bottom right)

Saab wiring harness in door with triple connector,wires black, red, green. Connect to Maplin black, brown, white, in that order.
This applies to a 1989 9k but it looks like it applies to later models too. Maplin don't give a wiring diagram and Haynes bears no resemblance to reality

·
Registered
662 Posts
hi pete,the buzzin is the c/locking ecu,slung up in the dash above the brake pedal.im have intermitent probs with mine and suspect its the ecu.like me try to find a known good one and see if that gets it.or start taking the door panels off (nasty things)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm pretty much on top of the door panel removal thing, I've had all four off once and the rear ones off several times for various reasons..

Worst part is getting those little caps off the bottom bolt without damaging them. Easy to leave screwdriver marks.

I do occasionally feel the drivers door lock catch on something so if this is the motor, then it's time for a new one. Anyone else have any thoughts?

Thanks for the replies.

Pete

·
Registered
135 Posts
Originally posted by Peteysmithy:
[qb]I'm pretty much on top of the door panel removal thing, I've had all four off once and the rear ones off several times for various reasons..
[/qb][/b]
Does this by any chance mean you're replaced the fan motor in a rear door? Is this easy?

And: how do I start a new Topic with a reply like this?

Harry
'93 2.3T aut

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry Harry,

that's the one job that hasn't been required on my car. Why? Because they aren't fitted to mine unfortunatly. I'm sure once you have the door apart it'd all become clear. (Ha ha, much like the window...)

Do they make much difference?

Pete

·
Registered
335 Posts
my one (!) that works makes a huge difference in damp weather when you have 5 on board.. or getting onto motorway sliproads when its raining/misted up first thing..... is the door strip fan fix easy?
(note to self - stop wandering off topic)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.