Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got my '82 Turbo 900 running, now the only issue lies in the problem that I had from the begginning (before replacing the head gasket and timing chain. I have a broken bearing in the turbocharger that is leaking oil into the exhaust manifold. The Turbocharger itself works fine--when it does work. There are times when I take it out for a drive and the turbocharger doesn't really work--or at least doesn't really kick in and there is no smoke and the car runs fine but rather slow. I called a place today, and they said that it's roughly $800 for a new Turbocharger and $500 for the install, which is bullshit, installing a Turbocharger is no longer than a two hour process, the only issue is that I don't know if I can find a Turbocharger for an '82 900 Turbo--or, does that even matter? I've found some Turbochargers on ebay for roughly 200 that look just like the one I have, I'm only afraid of buying the wrong one. Is there any difference between garrett Turbochargers and various years? Is there a way to find out specifically what kind of Turbocharger 82 900's have? Is there any way that I could repair my turbocharger?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have a good t-charger sitting on a 1984 8v turbo engine you can have for $75 plus shipping.
Non water cooled type.
Fred R.

·
Registered
14 Posts
does anyone know if the turbos in classic saabs fit each other??

because i have looked on thesaabsite.com and they offer different turbos for almost each year... i only ask because i need to get another turbo for my 1987 saab 900 and was checking ebay, but can't find one for 1987... i have seen other years though and wondered if they would fit my car...

does anyone know?

thanks so much

1 - 4 of 4 Posts