Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks! I have found a good deal on a Turbo Xs Type-H blowoff valve. According to the Turbo XS website, the Type-H is good to hold from 10-25psi of boost. I have a 93 9000CSE 2.3 turbo, and I don't think it boosts 10psi stock (what is the stock boost pressure, anyways? I could never find this information for some reason!). I also found a very good deal on a Turbo XS Manual Boost Controller. I have read that a MBC will make the APC system obsolete. If I raised the boost level to say, 10 or 11psi, would my engine be alright? I am sorry for these trivial questions, I am just unclear on some things when it comes to Saab engines! I got my '93 9000 on Sunday and I am trying to learn as much about them as possible. Thank you very much in advance!

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
full pressure turbo is around 0.8 bar 10-12 psi
Mbc can make your apc redundant but can be used in conjunction with it ...
there has been lots of discussion on this topic do a search and read the posts..there is a lot in there..
You need to get a "twin piston type" dump valve or you will draw air in at idle and it will idle very poorly
donno about this particular one

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by ylee coyote:
[qb]full pressure turbo is around 0.8 bar 10-12 psi
Mbc can make your apc redundant but can be used in conjunction with it ...
there has been lots of discussion on this topic do a search and read the posts..there is a lot in there..
You need to get a "twin piston type" dump valve or you will draw air in at idle and it will idle very poorly
donno about this particular one [/qb][/b]
Thanks for the info! Here is the information on the blowoff valve (direct from the website:)

"Designed for high performance, the TurboXS Blow Off Valve - Type H relieves compressor pressure surge caused by changing gears or backing off the throttle quickly. This valve is an extremely important part of any turbo system allowing quicker turbo spool up between gear changes and greatly increasing the life of a turbocharger. The BOV Type H provides greater venting flow than the Type S and is designed for turbo charged engines running 10 to 25 psi boost. Each valve is individually tested to hold 30 lbs. of boost. Sizing of valve is based on flow and not boost pressure."

A little further down it also reads, "It is fully adjustable by adding packer washers to make sure the valve stays closed at idle."

Adding the packer washers would help avoid the problem of it being open during idle, to prevent a choppy idle. Again, thanks for the information! I'll do a search regarding the APC/MBC discussion again.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I've heard very very bad things about that BOV on various WRX sites. It's supposed to sound very nice, hold lots of boost, and break frequently.

I have no personal experience, but if you do want a BOV, I'd go with a forge unit. I've always heard great things from them.

Dubbya~

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by Adrian W:
[qb]I've heard very very bad things about that BOV on various WRX sites.  It's supposed to sound very nice, hold lots of boost, and break frequently.    :rolleyes:    

I have no personal experience, but if you do want a BOV, I'd go with a forge unit.  I've always heard great things from them.    :thumbsup:  

Dubbya~ [/qb][/b]
Really? Eesh! Good thing I got outbid on it then Where can I check out one of these Forge BOV's?

Also, when installing the BOV, do I have to get anything custom fabricated to fit the BOV onto any piping or anything, or is it pretty much bolt-on (with hose clamps, etc.). Thanks for the tip, Adrian!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I finally came across the Forge Motorsports website, and found the BOV you are referring to, I believe. This is it:

You don't happen to know of any US sites offhand that might sell it, would you? Figured I might as well ask

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm in the states too, but I ordered it from Elkparts and it was here in two days and still cheaper then directly from Forge US distributers. I think I paid like $118 shipped but that was when the currency conversion looked a little better.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you, I will check out the site right now. How do you like yours? How hard was it to install?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Takes 5 or less minutes to install. Just unscrew the two clamps on the old diverter valve, remove it, add the block off plate and tighten that clamp back, attach the bov tighten clamp, reattach vacuum hose.

I've had mine in for over a year with no problems. Its a very high quality unit.

Anyone know how often you are supposed to lube them?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awesome. I didn't know it would be that easy. I wasn't sure if there had to be any special pipes or anything running around. Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts