Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to go faster.

I've got a Garrett turbo off a Dodge Shadow and I'm told that it is a 42/48 hybrid. It is a physically bigger turbo. Other than that I dont know much of the differences.

I have a couple questions before I start the swap. What size is my compressor wheel on my 96 900 T25? Also, will i want to upgrade my ECU before swaping turbos?

It would be great if anyone could address other problems I could have.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Originally posted by Søren Hviid:
[qb]Does anybody know what turbo upgrade is the bedst one for the 2.0 liter engine? [/qb][/b]
That depends on what year you car is...

On cars with the T25 I would suggest the T25/28 hybrid. Maptun have made a 2.0 liter ng900 with that turbo that has 321 hp. I have that turbo on my 2.3 9000 and it has a bit more turbo-lag but is still perfect for normal use

·
Registered
295 Posts
Yes its a 2.0 engine. But is the T25/28 a hybrid?
I checked it on Gikturbos homepage, I belive the T28 is a T25 with a bigger compressor. The T25VNT (Variable Nozzie Turbine)I belive is a hybrid.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Originally posted by Søren Hviid:
[qb]Yes its a 2.0 engine. But is the T25/28 a hybrid?
I checked it on Gikturbos homepage, I belive the T28 is a T25 with a bigger compressor. The T25VNT (Variable Nozzie Turbine)I belive is a hybrid. [/qb][/b]
I'm not an expert in what to call the different turbos - but on STCS's forum we call the T25/28 a hybrid... The one I have is bigger both on intake and exhaust-side.

I bought mine from Speedparts and it comes from SL Turbo www.slturbo.com but was cheaper than from SL Turbo directly!?!

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
The definition of a hybrid turbo is any one that gets modified with parts that are not originally designed for it. So yes, a T25/28 would definitely be a hybrid.

And my thought on the lag, if you don't want much, there is still prehaps, 20 hp to be gained with a T25 with a stock turbine section and just a T28 compressor wheel added. Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Hi Clint,

If your car is standard at the moment then you have a lot to gain by replacing the stock ECU with a 'performance' unit. This plus a different exhaust should give you quite a !!

As far as the 42/48 turbo goes, what size is the engine on the Shadow? If it's more than say 3.0 litres (picking a figure from the air...) then it wouldn't really be able to be spun up by a 2.0 litre engine IMHO, just guessing but I think I'm on the right lines.

Nick.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
I found this site:

http://www.proturbo.fi/turbot/turbos_en.htm

I can't find any information on a Garrett unit of those specs, according the site above the Schwitzer S1BG 42/48 is for use on 1.4-2.0 litre engines and, providing I've read this correctly is rated to 210hp. The actual casting may appear bigger but the output may be less. Also, any turbo you use will need to be water cooled, an oil cooled unit will provide less output than a water cooled one anyway as they suffer heat soak under much less strain for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanx for the link.

I was on another turbo forum (www.homemadeturbos.com) and a guy made a comment on how the 42/48 was actually downgrading from a T25. This didnt make sense to me at the time because the turbo is massive compared to my T25.

Ive done some other research and I think im going to sell that turbo and put the money towards an ECU. I think it will be a good starting point.

If it were only a T28.....

·
Registered
258 Posts
ECU's the way to go first Clint, see many other posts for recommendations and some (occasionally fairly heated) views on who'se hot or not at this. You won't go wrong with a Maptun/Speedparts or Abbott mod if you can get these in the states.

Turbo wise it depends on what you want. Big ain't always better. For me, modifying a 2.0 LPT gives a good compromise. Modified ECU gives lots more BHP and Torque, and smaller turbo unit gives quicker spool up. True, at the expense of outright top end delivery (compared with Aero or other "full blown" or "HOT" turbo's), but IMHO in real world driving, which we mostly get stuck with it is in many ways arguably a better balance.

And if you add on a modified exhaust and filter anyway then this car can easily live with most standard Aeros anyway as it has a similar output - indeed, the quicker spool up might indeed make it a touch quicker in certain circumstances due to less lag.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Im going with a speedparts ECU. Ive already made my own 3 inch cold air intake. Ill post pics once i get some of it.

It seems the best way to go right now is the Speedparts ECU and a 3 inch downpipe with a 3 inch cat. Ill get the the cat-back later down the road.
I should get at 50 hp increase with this combo. (they claim 60 increase with ECU, cat-back and downpipe)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts