Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been talking with a guy who has been working on saabs for many years and was told this. I have a '94 9000CSE turbo with the garrett T25 turbo on it, if I want to I can take a 2.0 exhaust manifold and mate it with a T3 turbo plus a little tweaking(new boost valve and dump valve) I should see a considerable performance difference. If I opt for the ECU upgrade I could see as much as 265 horsepower. Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated. I am not willing to make any changes until I get some consensus from other owners.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Alix66

All I can say is go for it!!
I have just got rid of my old 2L T16 9K (replaced by '96 CSE FPT 2.3)

It had a TurboDynamics Stage 2 hybrid turbo with uprated wastgate actuator and specially made K&N raceing air filter + uprated Red APC

All of this was fitted & setup by my self against all the advise from all the saab tuners in the country, and it rocked !!

Most of the tuning companys will tell you that it dosent work well with the engine management , but I think thats just B*****Ks
cos the ecu has enough free play to cope with it.

All you may have to do (probably will) is adjust the boost cut off, or put an inline a bleed valve.

Hope that gives you some ideas.

Damo

·
Registered
183 Posts
Alix,

Do yourself a favour & read my comments in the ECU Upgrade post. Get yourself a decent Boost Guage so you know where you're starting from. You don't need to buy a replacement engine do you? The APC guage in the instrument cluster is pretty & noce but useless at telling you the information you need to know. Do it properly. You know it makes sense!!

Sort out the Intake so it doesn't breathe like YOU would if you had my hand across your mouth. Sort out the Exhaust & replace the Cat with a straight through cat replacement pipe. This will remove back pressure when you start the real fun upgrades. Don't bother with a bleed valve cos they're good but not that good. Principle here is that a fraction of the air from the compressor side of the turbo is bled off, so less gets to the wastegate as there is a pressure drop across the
valve. What you need is a Grainger Boost Valve:-

The Grainger basically is a ball & spring. Pressure builds up on the side of the ball, which is held in place by the spring. At a pre-set spring load, enough pressure builds behind the ball to open it and allow air to flow past. The wastegate then 'sees' the pressure and opens.

The big bonus of this is that the wastegate is fully closed until the pre-set boost is reached. Being fully closed means that the turbo spins up more quickly (WHEN YOU NEED IT!!) as no exhaust gas is bypassing the exhuast turbine, so boost builds boost more raipidly cos the exhaust is already spinning the turbine.

These cost about the same as a decent Bleed Valve or maybe a buck or two more. Literally. They are available in the states at:-

http://www.dawesdevices.com/boost.html

As you can see they're small bucks & comparable in performance to their (if not more expensive) electronic counterparts.

Do read my posts in the ECU Upgrade thread for a proper explanation regarding the mods process.

Have fun!

·
Registered
183 Posts
quarryeff said:-

<Snip>
9000Turbo16, I hate to say this but Maestro/Montego Turbos have just this device fitted! And they are carburetted/turbocharged. My son's Maestro made my 9000Carlsson look like an old woman!
<End>

Like I said.... They're better than bleed valves. Bleed valves have the bleed set permanently so there's always pressure being bled off. The Grainger type don't allow bleeding until there's enough pressure to force the ball back. Spooling up times are reduced. Afterall - You need the power when you plant your right foot & not a second or so later.

As to them being fitted to a Maestro & Montego Turbo... Well... What can I say? I'd rather catch the bus than be seen near one of those!! ;o)

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
900016turbo,
I agree what you say about not being seen next to a maestro, but have you ever driven one? We service one - it's an old wreck but it does shift, torque steer is frightening and the brakes are [expletive deleted]!!!!!!!!!

Neil

ps good to be back - just moved house and been offline for about 3 weeks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.