Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had one of these fitted to there saabs at all??

I have spoken to people who say that every Turbo car should have one..

They are selling on ebay quite cheap and I wondered if I should go for it.. This is the one I was looking at going for:

Here

Thanks

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
There was a thread on Saabcentral recently about this subject and it seems to be sometihing the US favour - not really necessary and as Andrew says a bit pointless if you have to lock gearlever in reverse - may also have implications on insurance - usually let my engine run for about 40 sces to a minute when I reach journey's end and even that may not be totaly necessary with today's watercooled turbos unless you have been winding the revs up.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Originally posted by sgould:
[qb]What are they?    [/qb][/b]
They are a 'lil device that you can use to keep the engine running for a preset period of time after you switch the ignition off. Mainly to let the turbo coll and spin down after hard driving.
Saab say that for longevity, my 9000T ('87) should be let to idle for 20 seconds after stopping. love that watercooling eh?

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I think it's really a bit of Fast n Furious style frippery rather than a mechanical necessity. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing - just a matter of taste rather than need! Wouldn't do any hard and it is quite cool in some ways

Personally like the others have said, I try not to boot it the last minute of the journey, and I leave the engine running while I take off my belt, get my stuff together, turn off the radio, etc which is probably about 30 seconds or so.

Recently I was reading the Turbo Technics FAQ and it says:

Should I leave my engine ticking over before it is turned off ?

Not for normal every day driving, but still worthwhile if the engine has been under load or raced before being turned off. e.g. Towing a caravan or after climbing a long incline.[/b]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.