Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had one of these fitted to there saabs at all??

I have spoken to people who say that every Turbo car should have one..

They are selling on ebay quite cheap and I wondered if I should go for it.. This is the one I was looking at going for:

Here

Thanks

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
All very well, but not much cop if you have to leave your car in reverse when switching off.

I just drive mine gently for the last few miles (which is normally a 30 zone anyway)

Andrew

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
There was a thread on Saabcentral recently about this subject and it seems to be sometihing the US favour - not really necessary and as Andrew says a bit pointless if you have to lock gearlever in reverse - may also have implications on insurance - usually let my engine run for about 40 sces to a minute when I reach journey's end and even that may not be totaly necessary with today's watercooled turbos unless you have been winding the revs up.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Originally posted by sgould:
[qb]What are they?    [/qb][/b]
They are a 'lil device that you can use to keep the engine running for a preset period of time after you switch the ignition off. Mainly to let the turbo coll and spin down after hard driving.
Saab say that for longevity, my 9000T ('87) should be let to idle for 20 seconds after stopping. love that watercooling eh?

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I think it's really a bit of Fast n Furious style frippery rather than a mechanical necessity. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing - just a matter of taste rather than need! Wouldn't do any hard and it is quite cool in some ways

Personally like the others have said, I try not to boot it the last minute of the journey, and I leave the engine running while I take off my belt, get my stuff together, turn off the radio, etc which is probably about 30 seconds or so.

Recently I was reading the Turbo Technics FAQ and it says:

Should I leave my engine ticking over before it is turned off ?

Not for normal every day driving, but still worthwhile if the engine has been under load or raced before being turned off. e.g. Towing a caravan or after climbing a long incline.[/b]

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
They are illegal in the UK as it is an offence to leave an unattended car with the engine running.

Alarms that will remotely start are also not allowed.

Toby

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Had one in my MR2 turbo - worked very well but given the fact that the car had rotten engine ventation with the turbo buried somewhere behind me, I was happy to give it the benefit of the doubt. The gearing was miles shorter than the saab so on motorway runs, things got hot - with the most worrying things being motorway service station stops.
I'd doubt the saab was under anywhere near as much heat stress and if you are forced to stop when very hot frequently, I'd make sure you at least change the oil more regularily and give the car 30secs at idle before switching off.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I had a discussion some years ago with a knowledgable person about auxiliary electric oil pumps, which allow prestart lubrication (oil pressure build up) and post stop lubrication to prevent turbo heat soak into the oil in the turbo bearings.

The conclusion was that they were valuable for things with rotten turbo installations, i.e. Fiat Unos where the turbo sits behind the engine in a very tight space, and was probably not water cooled. For well designed turbo installations they were viewed as unnecessary. I suggest that the same applies to this device, only more so.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Originally posted by Toby Field:
[qb]They are illegal in the UK as it is an offence to leave an unattended car with the engine running.

Toby [/qb][/b]
Really? What about the remote starters that Audi/BMWs have to prewarm car etc in winter?

Also a friend has a 300zx that keeps the engine running for a minute after you get out of the car. It is independant of the alarm as well.

Personally i take it easy about 2 miles from home, and if i have been
then i let it idle for 30-60secs. If you open the bonnet quick enough in low light you can see the Turbo glow bright red so i cannot see how 30 secs of extra idling can do any damage....

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I have to agree with the Fox on this one. Our vehicles at work are coming complete with a system that allows the engine to keep runnning, without a driver in the seat, so as to power a rather large inverter from the engine.

Nick.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
To back up my previous post I searched the web to see what is quoted re: turbo timers and remote starting.

From G Force Motorsport;
 Our customers often ask us about the security aspect of using turbo timers, and this is still very much a grey area. Ultimately, you will only get an honest answer from your insurers themselves, and they will generally totally disagree with their use due to the fact that the vehicle will be left running with nobody inside, which is technically illegal.[/b]
I also found this at rhocar.org.uk
.but as far as I know its an offence to leave a car with the engine running  :rolleyes:  

I remember a PC trying to nice someone...he was on his radio asking a Sargent "what can I nick this guy for", the reply was nick him for leaving his engine running.

So, starting a car without being in control i.e via remote is iffy
 [/b]
I also found this on the Times website which may clarify things;
Devices that start your car using a remote control keyfob are popular in Scandinavia and cold parts of North America. They allow you to start the car in the drive from the comfort of your house, then get in when it is warm and has de-iced and de-misted windows. They can be useful, too, in warming up the engine to prevent the high level of wear that occurs in the first 10 minutes of any journey from cold.

It’s important to note that it is illegal to leave a car running and unattended on a public road in the UK, so it’s driveway use only.  [/b]
Toby

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Whether or not leaving a car unattended and running is illegal, turbo timers really are (in general) just not a necessity for a car that comes with a turbo. A lot of little "Boy Racers" use them because they ahve oil cooled turbochargers that were not factory fitted. Also, being Boy Racers, they're hard on them and likely do need some cool down time. For us Saabers, our turbos are meticulously tested to ensure that there is no oil "cooking" when shut down during extreme conditions. In fact if you download the latest Garrett catalog there's a small section on just what their turbos go through before leaving the factory. Also any good synthetic oil should be highly resistant to "cooking".

As for letting the car idle, or taking it easy before shutting down, I agree both are good ideas. Myself during summer there is a backroad that goes to my house which I use to help it cool down. When the car is idling the coolant and oil aren't circulating very quickly, but when under load the exhaust temps are fairly high. I get around that on this backroad because the last 1/3 mile of it or so is a long downhill right before my house, so I coast at about 2500 rpms letting things curculate under no load till I park the car, and on warm days even let it idle for a minute or so. Perhaps not necessary, but when it's above 85-90 degrees outside I feel it couldn't hurt. As final verdict for turbo timers ... it's already been said you can't use them on manual drive Saabs, and why would you be going fast in an auto?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Originally posted by Adrian W:
[qb]it's already been said you can't use them on manual drive Saabs, and why would you be going fast in an auto?    [/qb][/b]
Well, you can on the Manual 9000. No need to lock it in reverse.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I'm fortunate enought to have a 60 limit for 1.5 miles, which reduces to a 30 just as my road comes up.

I usually get the car up to just above the limit then put it in neutral, I don't need the gears at all for the rest of the way home, including getting onto the driveway, about 3/4 mile total, and when I pull up on the driveway I can see that the temp needle has dropped slightly.

As you all say, probably not necessary, but it helps with peace of mind as my car doesn't use any oil at all between sevices at the moment!

Skiddins

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Originally posted by Toby Field:
[qb]They are illegal in the UK as it is an offence to leave an unattended car with the engine running.

Toby [/qb][/b]
On my previous car, a Peugeot 406, I had a clifford solaris alram, with remote start, great fun and very useful in the cold months.
Never knew it was illegal or not, used to always remote start it, most fun when people were walking past it!

Bit of a grey one, I could just as easily switch it of with remote, any attempt to steal car whilst running resulted in alram going of and engine shutting down, un-arming and entering the car and touching brake pedal before actually putting ignition on resulted in engine shutdown.

I would have it fitted to 9-5, but installers aren't willing to mess with current security system

1 - 19 of 19 Posts