Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have seen all the ricers in my town with these things from like greddy and another company. I was wondering if there wasa a practical application for these on a saab and what would be the possible gain would be.

thanks all

oh btw i have a ng900 and i mgiht be upgrading the turbo so keep that in mind

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Originally posted by Xburn:
[qb]thanks / john at least you weren't a jerk about it like many.  i commend you : ) [/qb][/b]
For many the temptation is to answer a question subjectively. It is often better to answer questions objectively. Then people can decide for themselves.

I think that there were at least two threads that discussed this. Have a search, have a read and feel free to discuss any questions that remain unanswered

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Yes - was discussed some time last year and the biggest drawback with the 900's was having to lock the gearlever in reverse in order to remove key.

Mike

·
Registered
682 Posts
These where always being asked about on the Subaru forums,yes they do work but imho if you drive sensibly for the final mile or so after any spirited drive the car will cool itself much better.
Leaving it sitting on tick over when you have stopped raises the other point of heat soak.

Save some cash and be sensible or if you do drive hard and need to stop let it idle for a minute or so.
The other major point is with your insurance as many companies will faint
if you tell them you leave your engine running when you leave the car,locked or not.

Zippy

·
Registered
103 Posts
HI,
With all turbocharged cars you should let them cool down for a couple of minutes or so thus making the turbo last longer and letting the oil cool it down, I've found that turbo timers are an excellent device when fitted correctly. As for insurance I don't have a clue if it effects it but I would find it strange that a device to help the car last longer would effect it in any way
And as mentioned by zippy 9-3 its against the law to leave a car unattended if the engine is running even though the keys can be removed while its still cooling down.
Hope this helps

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i had thought the greddy turbo timer was built to like control the boost of the turbo and what not. is there soehitng to this effect? thanks

·
Registered
103 Posts
They're a different unit altogether unless its been developed in the last couple of months.
If you want boost control there's items like the profec B this is electronic boost controller available from demon tweeks but whether its ok using it on the saab. Depends on the model (trionic or not). Turbo timers can be worth the cash but as already mentioned a steady drive after a good thrashing is a much cheap solution and can give you the same results(better if you consider heat soak) but heat soak depends how long you set the timer to keep the engine running after you turn off the ignition!
Not sure where you'd get these in items in the usa but i'm sure demon-tweeks deliver abroad (www.demon-tweeks.co.uk)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts