Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got back to the UK today. Went out in the 2.3FPT Auto.. was acceleratring fine but then there was a loud hiss from under the bonnet and the preessure gauge sits right in the middle and doesn't really move either way. When I accelerate hard I get the loud hiss

Checked under the boonet but in the dusk I couldn't see anything obviously wrong.

So any pointers to what its going to be and I assume its safe to drive the car with the turbo boosting air into nowhere.

Steve

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
That's definately a pipe off, if you can hear the hiss inside the car whilst driving, it could be in the dash. My dad's c900 had this and it was the fuel cut off valve in the dash, but that built up pressure on the guage, then hissed as the diaphragm gave up.

Neil

·
Registered
970 Posts
When you accelerate hard do you still feel boost even though the guage sits in the 'off' position? I guess that if so, you may have a busted vacuum pipe leading to the guage. Alternatively, the pressure transducer (which in the 900 is beside the fuel pump cut off switch under the nearside of the dash, though I dunno where it is in the 9000) may have gone and the symptom of this is a whoosh noise when on boost.

I would check all the vaccuum pipes first to see if any have become detached, before thinking of removing dashboards or other stuff.

HTH

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hiss noticable from inside the car when I accelerate hard .. vague hissing audible when window open when driving without hard acceleration.

In dash gauge sits slightly to the left of middle (i.e. moves to the right when I turn off) when engine running but does not move when driving.

In the light this morning the flexable hose to the bottom of the rigid pipe looks like it might have moved about .25 of an inch - I can see where the hose used to be by a ring of dirt on the pipe. But it all seems solid down there.

There does seem to be some boost but as I've not been driving it for 2 weeks I have forgotten how the boost felt like through the autobox. Guess I can spend this weekend looking at it.

Steve

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK - well having had no-one say that it was bad to drive it if the turbo was boosting into thin air I gave it a good push last night.. boost is all there (the poor jag driver looked rather upset
).

Hiss is coming from under the dash and when it hisses I get a warm engine smell in the car. Boost gauge is not moving to the low side at all.. so it all points to the pipe to the meter.

So just where is the pipe behind the dash? .. suspect I'm not going to be test driving my ADSL connection this weekend

Steve

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Aha! Good work Watson!

The pipe runs from a white plastic bulkhead penetration up behind the top right of the glovebox over to the instrument cluster. It's going to be difficult to trace/replace without taking the dash off I'm afraid and the glovebox out. That in itself is not difficult, just a little tedious. Given a clear run with a replacement piece of vacuum tube handy (I've found the 3mm ID silicone vacuum tubing to be just the job), I should think you could get it done comfortably within an hour.

Feel free to post back if you need guidance on glovebox/dash removal...

Mark

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK

Its all fixed.

Tried to take the top off the dash but :
(a) there is a huge big wire running from one window pillar to the other and it seems to be bonded to the top of the dash
(B) The torx bolts aren't one I have a driver for

So I took out the glovebox and found the turbo gauge pipe BUT it was on solid. So I delved under the bonnet, removed the top of the fsih tank and found the other end of the bulkhead adaptor and found the pip had come off. It had stretched and gone floppy so I chopped a bit off and pushed it on nice and tight.

So its all fixed now.

Steve

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.