Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Aero when accelerating hard in 1st,2nd and 3rd pulls really hard above 3000 rpm with the boost needle sitting on the edge of the red. However at motorway speeds (say 75mph) in 5th gear when you plant your foot not much happens - the turbo gauge goes to the red but the acceleration feels quite lesiurley - unless i change down to 3rd and hit the fun pedal. Is this normal behaviour for a standard Aero I have noticed that the gears have quite long ratios i suppose this is to do with the large 2.3 4 cylinder engine with lots of torque. If honest my other 2.3 turbo Auto picks up a lot quicker on the motorway even without kick down. Is this a problem or just the nature of the car?

Thanks for looking.........

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
It took me a while to get used to the very long gearing in the 1996 manual aero. - 3rd will do 100, 4th 140 and 5th 180 (if you had enough power). 4th on the saab is substantially higher geared than 5th on my Golf
Flooring the aero in 5th at 75mph results in a bit of a delay, but it still fairly shoots off. It may be because things are much smoother and quieter that you dont get the impression of speed - but I generally find other cars still disappear rapidly from the rear view mirror. Of course if I really want to shoft then its a job for 3rd.
The usual cuplrits of Optimax, nicely gapped sparkplugs, adaptation run and in my case removal of the heatplate made a massive difference compared to when I first got the car. - Sounds like yours is going well in the other gears though.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
oh - and making sure the base boost is running to spec will help lots with the pickup speed - I have yet to check/adjust mine, but I'll be taking the advice from this site and setting it to the highest spec. level. I'll drop a note back in when its done...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.